Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rusalka Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Feb 6, 2008, 11:38 PM
    Computer clock is always 30 minutes slow
    Hello. I noticed that my computer's clock is 30 minutes slow. I keep changing it, and I even used the option "set Internet time" from the windows server, but it keeps losing time. It's fine for some minutes after I set the right time, but then again and again it starts to show the wrong time, always 30 minutes backwards. I am using Vista. Do you have any idea what might be causing this and how can I fix it?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2008, 11:42 PM
    To me, if I was having this problem, the first thing that I would be checking is the battery on the Motherboard.

Feb 6, 2008, 11:56 PM
    So if the battery is lower the clock might be missing out? I was told that if I don't use the laptop, I should remove the charger because if I keep it under continuous charging the battery might give up.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2008, 11:59 PM
    I'm no expert on this sort of thing. I just know that when I have had clock problems, that replacing the battery solved the problem. Hopefully, someone will come along who will be able to get truly technical with you about this.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Feb 7, 2008, 02:44 PM
    The confusion is what battery Clough is talking about.

Rusalka,
    There is a small battery mounted on the motherboard that keeps the time clock for your computer alive. It has nothing to do with the larger battery that your laptop uses for power while it is not connected to the power supply/charger.

What brand and model laptop is it? There may be a BIOS update or operating system patch that is required if this has been a known issue for your laptop.
    littlebear91 Posts: 54, Reputation: 3

Feb 7, 2008, 02:58 PM
    If everything else don't work, Just stick into your head that your PC is 30 minutes slower. LMAO, I'm sure that will be fun. Hm. Try to log in as Admin and set your time correctly and chk your manufacturer as to whether this is hardware or software problem

Feb 7, 2008, 03:17 PM
    It is an ACER Aspire 5720.

What battery is this battery for the clock? I mean where it is exactly located and how do I replace it? :S

Thanks for the advice :)
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Feb 8, 2008, 08:24 AM
    The battery is located on the motherboard. You would have to completely open the case of your laptop to get to it. It is a watch size battery. However, this is a relatively new laptop and it is highly unlikely that the battery is bad.

I searched ACER's web site and found your model among the European models and not the Pan American models. And since their power is different, make sure that your power adapter is compatible with both 50Hz and 60Hz (ours is 60 Hz) inputs. Usually, if it is not, your clock would be running faster and not slower.

Anyway, check your BIOS version. Here is the download for your updates:
    Acer Europe - Service & Support, Drivers & Utilities, Downloads, Notebook, Aspire 5720
    flamingo1234 Posts: 75, Reputation: -1

Feb 10, 2008, 03:20 PM
    Microsoft programed it so it will run like c*** and get you ticked off!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer clock running slow [ 6 Answers ]

:)My computer time idicater reading has just recently started to read two hours slow on the display. I reset it, and it will read OK for a short time then resume to read two hours slow again. How do I correct this? Is it a clock battery wearing out or?

Computer system clock keeps changing? [ 2 Answers ]

Can you tell me why my computer clock keeps changing by exactly one hour? This happens on a daily basis.

Computer clock [ 1 Answers ]

My computer clock goes an hour back after I set it up. I have checked the automatic day time saving. Help

Slow Clock [ 12 Answers ]

Hey Guys, MY computer clock has been losing about a half hour every twenty four hours. I first thought the battery was going bad but my neoghbor tells me that the battery either works or it doesn't. So he doesn't know either. The clock resets fine, it just loses time. This seems to be the...

View more questions Search