Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Delargo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2008, 02:34 PM
    Civic shuts down on the road
    My 94 Civic has a haunting problem. Periodically, as I'm driving down the road and let off the accelerator, the engine shuts down as if I ran out of gas. I have plenty of gas in the car. Sometimes the engine will start again right away but at times the car will crank and not turn over. Could this be a fuel filter problem? Fuel pump/relay maybe?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2008, 02:55 PM
    I would start with the fuel filter. But it depends how periodic and how low your gas is
    Is it doing it when you are down low on gas only? How long ago did it first start doing this?
    When it happens does it keep happening until you get more gas?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2008, 04:53 PM
    I had a car that did this and it was the solenoid going bad. Sometimes until the part actually totally fails it's hard to properly diagnose correctly. Check out the solenoid.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2008, 04:57 PM
    When my solenoids would go bad I always had to start with a screwdriver under the solenoid
    NO fun --scared me at times.
    Sand Daddy Posts: 95, Reputation: 14

Feb 5, 2008, 05:02 PM
    I would show you love NOhelp4u, but I have to spread it around before I can give it up to you again! Lol

Fuel filter is a great start, cheap and easy. If that doesn't do the trick, less a check engine light, its likely your pump! Does the car act like it ran out of gas when it shuts off, i.e. sputtering, or does it just go dead?
    Delargo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2008, 08:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Delargo
    My 94 Civic has a haunting problem. Periodically, as I'm driving down the road and let off of the accelerator, the engine shuts down as if I ran out of gas. I have plenty of gas in the car. Sometimes the engine will start again right away but at times the car will crank and not turn over. Could this be a fuel filter problem? Fuel pump/relay maybe?
    The car just shuts down. I replaced the fuel filter last night. Funny thing though. When I loosened the service bolt on the old filter to depressurize, I expected to get a gush of gas. But I only got a little trickle. Should I be concerned?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2008, 09:07 AM
    . Replace the main relay, which is located left of fuse box, wedged against left kick panel and above hood latch. Remove fuse box cover and lower dash panel for access.

. Test/replace the Ignition Control Module and coil. AutoZone can test these components for free. Here's how to do the work yourself:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post265896

Because of the age of your Civic, I would replace these two critical and problematic components.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 09:20 AM
    The filter wouldn't make it stall when you let off the accelerator; a small trickle is normal is the pump hasn't primed up and there's no pressure behind the filter. Gas shouldn't be shooting out.

Is your check engine light on? How was it running prior to this, and how does it run when this problem isn't occurring? Personally, I would have your fuel pressure tested just to eliminate the pump as the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

98 Honda Civic shuts off while driving [ 13 Answers ]

My 98 Honda Civil LX has recently decided to shut off while driving. I could be driving for three minutes or three hours, it has no preference. It sometimes will turn back on when I restart it, and sometimes not so much. I took it to the shop where they gave it an engine tune up and a new...

98 Honda Civic Shuts off while driving [ 2 Answers ]

Ok here is the freakin problem... I can be driving and my car will completely shut off. The radio will turn off and turn back on, but the power steering goes out, the blinker won't work and then the lights on the dash board will blink on and off with a sound of a clicking noise that sounds...

92' Civic Runs Fine, but intermittently shuts off. [ 78 Answers ]

So here's the deal. A couple weeks ago my civic just shut off and would not start again. I went through and gave it a full tune-up. (spark plugs, wires, filters, cap & rotor) I ended up solving the problem when I replaced the Ignition Control Module and Coil. I also had some bad gas that had water...

02 yukon shuts off while driving down road [ 1 Answers ]

02 yukon shuts off while driving down the road. Sometimes it will start back up right away. Other times you have to wait a few minutes. :confused:

Honda Civic shuts off when driving [ 1 Answers ]

I hear a click and then it shuts off when driving. What could be wrong?

View more questions Search