Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    avlastas Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2008, 11:09 AM
    Loreal Color Remover? My hair is a dark burgundy by accident
    Hello,

Sunday I went to a salon (in a different city) and asked for my chestnut hair to be dyed a "Chocolate Brown"... Afer 30 minutes and a rinse, to my horror... my roots had lifted to a flaming orangey-red, the ends were fine. I was almost in tears, so the guy put a dark color on top of the whole thing to reduce the red.

Now my hair is a VERY very dark (almost punk-ish) dark blackish/burgundy. I bought Loreal color remover, I know that it won't go back to my natural... I just need to lighten it a few shades, as everyone at work thinks I am crazy. The only thing I am worried about is that it will strip it to that flaming orangey-red that it was before he applied the dark brown. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    THANKS SO MUCH!! :confused:

Feb 6, 2008, 07:08 AM
    This is the original poster...
    Well, I was hoping for any sort of response, and didn't get one. So out of sheer desperation, I used the Loreal color remover and WHAT A MISTAKE>>>> my hair went from being a dark black burgundy to flaming tangerine orange. Now I have to somehow find the cash to go to a salon and get it fixed properly. I do not recommend ever using a color remover, it just lifts your hair to a brassy ugly color.

Feb 6, 2008, 02:43 PM
    I ended up going to a salon... and spent another $150 to correct this.. not that anyone cares.. . I just hope nobody tries to use a color remover...
    hfoelsing Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2008, 03:36 PM
    Use the color remover - prell and Color Oops (walgreens / cvs). READ ON!

HI there - I read a string including the (thank you) amazingly helpful comments from PrettyLady and I AM SO FREAKING PLEASED!! I had my stylist dye my hair, top needed to match bottom from a home kit I put on. I'm naturally med dk to dk brn. I have lightened & colored - both in salon and at home. My roots were BRIGHT orange (stylist had a whoops moment) 2 "dyes" ago and I was just about Elvira Jet Black after this last pass of color. Searched these forums in desperation and heeded PrettyLady's & others comments.

I went and bought both Prell (original formula - green in a clear plastic bottle) and the OOPS color remover - $15 or less for both. OH and a good conditioner. I put the Prell on dry hair and sat for 45 minutes. Played on computer. Washed it out, conditioned, dried hair. Note: some color ran off in the tub but when I dried - 1/25th of a change - maybe. So I put on the Color Oops not having high hopes. I have really thick, long dark hair that's been bleached, colored, beaten with a stick, etc etc and thought "this'll probably dry my hair like straw, leave the ends black and the roots will go back to the bright orange,"(because the box says if you had bleach it'll take you back to natural OR the last bleaching you killed your hair with), but I figured "I'll just go pay more to get it fixed"... and put it on.

HOLY MOSES PEOPLE!! I am SHOCKED! As one reviewer noted, you won't see color wash down the drain, and it won't look THAT different before you dry. But when you do - halleluya (however you spell it)! ALL the black is gone, the ends are a nice med to dk brown with a slight copper highlight and the roots are... the same! Voilą! And when I say a light copper that's what I mean because red doesn't look good on me and I do not like it (on my head anyway). So basically I just went from black with burgundy / bordeaux / purply highlights to a med to dk brown with the slightest copper highlights. I love it.

I do not know if the Color OOPS (extra strength) would have done this alone, if it did or if the 45 minute "Prell soak" helped it but if you're in my position - do both like I did and condition well. Apparently besides stripping out a little color, Prell strips out all product buildup. My hair hasn't had this much shine & body in forever. Best of luck to all and I hope this helps someone with similar conditions.
    svatnsdal Posts: 183, Reputation: 20
    -

Apr 4, 2008, 03:44 PM
    I wish I could have read this just after you typed it! You should have spoken to the owner of the saloon that you went to. If they were a proper saloon, they would have fixed it, or you could state you don't trust them and want someone else to fix it, but they pay for it.
    NEVER TRUST THE HAIR COLOUR'S SOLD IN THE STORES! There is no such thing as 'colour remover'.
    Even though it may cost a lot, going to a proper hair person and having them fix it is the best. Now, write a very polite complaint letter to the place that caused this. Addressed both to the owner and the person who did your hair. State how upset you got and what you ended up having to pay to fix it. If they are a proper place, they will give you a check to cover the cost!
    Tonnie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2010, 02:32 PM
    Hello. I tried color remover for 8 pounds and I was satisfied, from black to mid brown, but I put another color on it.. light golden brown non permanent for 15 min and I am dark brown again, so I must buy one more remover and try mid blonde to be mi drown probably,xxx
    Tonnie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2010, 02:34 PM
    :eek:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonnie View Post
    Hello. I tried color remover for 8 pounds and I was satisfied, from black to mid brown, but I put another color on it.. light golden brown non permanent for 15 min and I am dark brown again, so I must buy one more remover and try mid blonde to be mid brown probably,xxx
    Jeorgia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2012, 10:41 AM
    I also stripped color from hair was very dark brown went to a pink shade. Applied a light ash blonde dye. Hair went straight back to dark brown!
    clairemsmith Posts: 122, Reputation: 2

May 13, 2013, 12:43 PM
    This is why making significant color changes (more than 2 shades) is best left to professionals who understand what the outcome of every product they use will be, after getting a detailed history of what products you have previously used and what your natural hair color is. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will hair color remover remove the color or make it lighter? [ 3 Answers ]

I dyed my hair light golden brown. My original hair color was dark brown. Now the golden brown is starting to fade and plus my hair is growing out at the roots. The hair color did damage to my hair and I don't want to permanent dye it anymore. All I want to do is put a dark rinse to at least get my...

Loreal Hair Color Removal Kit [ 12 Answers ]

Has anyone use a Haircolor Removal Kit by Loreal? My stylist died half of my hair DARK brown, almost black, and the top is a nice shade of bright blonde. My hair is naturally Blonde, and I wanted some darker blonde/light brown contrasting colors underneath. I now look like a skunk or...

Hair color remover [ 10 Answers ]

I have read some of the respones re Loreal Color Zap for removal of hair color. Will this product remove the product "Shades?" I am approx 75% gray and would like to simply go all gray. My 1/2" roots are natural gray and I have about 1 1/2" of "Shades" with the ends (about 1") being permanent...

Hair color remover [ 1 Answers ]

My hair is silver/Gray and I have had a strawberry color put on it. I am tired of coloring it all the time and want to go back to my natural color. I have been told to use a shampoo cap of 20 volume peroxide and conditioner and leave on my hair for 15-20 minutes. Will this work, or will I need to...

View more questions Search