Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    capthah Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2008, 08:15 AM
    New House, noisy banging Pipes when water shut off.
    Pipes bang when you close Hot or Cold water. Would you say that the plumber failed to install airlocks at each faucet?

capthah
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2008, 08:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by capthah
    Pipes bang when you close Hot or Cold water. Would you say that the plumber failed to install airlocks at each faucet?

capthah
    I think you mean 'air chambers' -- And since they are no longer required by code, it's likely the Plumber didn't install them.

Banging pipes can be caused by a number of factors:

Excessive water pressure.

A system closed by a backflow preventer and the lack of an expansion tank.

A malfunctioning check valve in a H/W recirculating system.

Or even inadequately strapped water piping.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 4, 2008, 09:32 AM
    Everything growler says makes sense. What type of piping does your home have?
    capthah Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2008, 11:23 AM
    All copper pipes
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 4, 2008, 12:14 PM
    I would have my wife or kids open and close the offending faucets while I moved about the basement touching as many pipes as I can reach. Once you find a pipe that jolts when you close the faucet insulate the pipe with a plastic pipe hanger every 10" minimum. Sioux has add on air chambers that you can attach on a line or at the stop if you want to go that route. Maybe growler can explain to us why air chambers are not longer required by code. I am not clear on the rationale behind that change.
    wmy2k Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2008, 06:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by capthah

capthah
    Could be as simple as a loose faucet washer also.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2008, 07:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Maybe growler can explain to us why air chambers are not longer required by code. I am not clear on the rationale behind that change.
    Because it's an unnecessary maintenance burden placed on the homeowner.

If sized properly, strapped properly and the appropriate devices for the specific installation are installed (Pressure Reducing Valves, Expansion Tanks, Backflow Preventer's, Shock Arrestors, Check Valves, Reduced Pressure Backflow Preventer's etc.. . ), then air chambers aren't needed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Noisy water pipes in house [ 8 Answers ]

I just had a plumber install a hot water recirculating pump. He ran pipe from the furtherest point and installed the return into the bottom of the electric hot water heater. He also installed a check valve on the cold water pipe going into the heater. I am now expericening noisy water pipes. ...

Noisy Pipes & Hot Water System Heating Rads! [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 problems with my CH system. Firstly when the hot water is turned on there is an awful lot of noise from the pipes. This sounds like a river rushing through the house. I can also hear the pump through the pipes. When I turn the pump down the noise is reduced but is still too noisy. This...

Noisy Water Pipes [ 1 Answers ]

What is causing my pipes to suddenly make loud banging noises?

Noisy pipes - hot water heater [ 4 Answers ]

Recently a plumber replaced the flexible copper tubing on our hot water heater to solid copper piping, alongh with a potable water expansion tank. This tank is on the outlet side of the hot water pipe. Since this time, I hear continuous sound emanating from the hot water tank. Maybe expansion...

Vibrating (Banging) Water Pipes (Water Running) [ 2 Answers ]

When upstairs tub valve is opened for the first time in the evening, loud banging noise sometimes ensues from pipes. Banging is alleviated when supply is redirected to showerhead, or when water is turned off. Single-handle Pegasus (Home Depot) valve. No issues when supply is off (not "water...

View more questions Search