Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Silverpetals Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2008, 06:24 PM
    Birth control.
    I only use condoms with my boyfriend, and I'm not on birth control. Are there any other women who do this? If so, how does that affect you?
    Also, is it a terrible idea? I'm just afraid of the effects of birth control. I grew up in an all organic, and homeopathic environment my whole life, and rarely consumed any amount of medicine. My mother would tell me that some people who take birth control can become sterile. Or other problems may occur. What are the chances of this happening? Also has anyone tried birth control that reduces the amount of periods you have? What's the take on that?
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2008, 06:25 PM
    Chances of infertility are remote. However if you want some good REAL and "organic" method, Use this method:Billings ovulation method - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2008, 07:07 PM
    Condoms are effective, but not foolproof. Neither is the pill. It is a good idea to use multiple forms of protections if you want to avoid pregnancy, but of course, it is important for you to be comfortable with the methods you choose.

There are side effects which can occur with the pill, though they are usually pretty rare. The most common is weight gain, and even that doesn't occur in everyone. The pill does not cause sterility, it is quite safe in that regard.

I am on a pill in which I get four periods a year. I love it and have no desire to go back to the traditional type! From the research I've done (reading, talking to my doctor, and my brother who is a medical student) there is no medical reason for a woman to have a period, so there is no danger in this sort of pill. Some women have a difficult time getting used to it, especially in the first year, but to me, the troubles have all been worth it.

Here's a pretty basic article on birth control you might want to read, hopefully it will answer any other questions you have. If not, post back, and we can help you out!

Birth Control Pill
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 07:14 PM
    As long as you are OK with becoming pregnant, using a condom by itself is OK. While it does lower the chance, it is not 100 percent.
    You need to speak to your doctor about using birth control.
    Mel0055 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2008, 08:27 PM
    I've been on the pill for almost 15 years, I'm almost 30 years old. I ask my Dr. (Gynocologist) every year and he re-assures me that it is safe and actually helps reduce cramps and prevents other things. I now take Seasonale and only have my periods 4 times a year - I love it. Some people may have certain reactions to certain pills such as bloating, naucous, etc... so you may have to try a few kinds before you find what is right for you and your body.

Also, if you are looking to get pregnant, it could take many months for you to get pregnant once off the pill. But, I had a friend at work that got pregnant within 4 months of getting off the pill. Each person's body is different but overall I am definitely an adcovate of the pill.
    daisy27 Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Feb 3, 2008, 08:28 PM
    You're playing with fire. Millions of women use birth control, get a doc find out which method of birth control you would want. Are you and your boyfriend ready to have a child? Every time you have intercourse you need to think about that. The condom could break, it happened to me. I now have a eight year old. Having a child is a lifetime responsibility. Volunteer babysitting or working at a daycare, then image having one of those babies forever!
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2008, 10:31 AM
    Silverpetals agrees: All right thanks! What brand of birth control do you use?
    I'm on a generic version of Seasonale. In the past I've also tried Ortho Tri Cyclen, a regular monthly pill. They all seem about the same for me, but Seasonale is great because of the four periods a year.

If you are wary of the pill there are other prevention methods you can look into such as the Nuva Ring or an IUD.

Regarding getting pregnant after you stop the pill, for some women it can take a few months, but for others it happens right away. A friend of mine went off the pill and was pregnant less than a month later. Another friend was using the Nuva Ring and was pregnant less than a month later after stopping it. So really, it's different for everyone.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Feb 4, 2008, 10:34 AM
    My SIL became pregnant when a condom broke.

You do not necessarily have any health risks with birth control. Personally, birth control was prescribed to enhance my health considering my tumor risk. Skipping periods can be healthy as well as they are not "medically necessary" to have unless you are trying to ovulate to become pregnant. I was on them for over 10yr with no complications. Some women experience short term side-effects, such as headaches, and may switch brands/dosages before finding the one that worked best for them. In general, birth control pills are very safe and have been in common use for over 40 years.

I don't have personal experience with other methods (such as implants) so I won't comment there.

You have 3 options to consider:
    1. Sex with condoms only
    2. Sex with condoms and your own birth control (99.9% effective if used correctly)
    3. Abstience (the 100% organic guarantee of avoiding pregnancy)

I highly recommend talking to your doctor about what choice is right for you. It's a personal decision that you may want to keep private from your mother... after all, its you who has to live with the consequences of your decision.

Good luck!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 4, 2008, 12:46 PM
    Just to interject here. One does not have to practice total abstinance to be safe. There are ways to be intitmate with and give pleasure to your partner without the risks of sexual intercourse. No method of birth control is 100% safe. So no one should engage in sexual intercourse unless they are prepared to have a child.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Birth Control causes birth defects? [ 1 Answers ]

So I take Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo and was reading some info about it and noticed that it said you should not take it if you are pregnant (obviously!) because it causes birth defects. So then I started wondering, what if you are taking it and for some reason it doesn't work and you end up pregnant (as...

Birth Control [ 6 Answers ]

All right this is a couple questions into one.. I haven't been taking my pill at the same times and I missed a day this weekend... and me and my boyfriend have had sex a couple times, and after words I feel sick.. what does this mean?:confused:

Birth control [ 16 Answers ]

I have taken depo-provera for two years and how been off depo-provera for over a year. And haven't had any birth control but I just recently took two birth control pills at once, can I still get pregnant?

Birth control [ 5 Answers ]

I have a really bad head ace but I also need to take my birth control but can I take them one after the other?? :confused:

View more questions Search