Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vikingmom714 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2008, 05:29 PM
    Claim Parent as Dependent
    My mother has been living with us since December 2006. She receives SS and a small pension. Can I claim her as a dependent on my taxes?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 1, 2008, 11:32 PM
    Yes, if you can show you provide more than HALF of her total support.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 2, 2008, 05:00 AM
    The pension may be income and if it is more than $3,400 you can't claim her.

Also do you provide as her support more than her ss benefits plus pension amount?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 06:43 PM
    Agree about the pension may exceed $3,400.

However, income is based on what is SPENT, not what is received.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Claim F1 student as a dependent [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I am working under H1B visa for the whole year 2005. And my sister is studying with her F1 visa for the past 2 years (2004-now). Can I claim her under mine for dependent or exemption for tax year 2005? I already read about the 4 (5) requirements for tax dependent (exemptions) 1....

Can I claim brother (on F1) as Dependent? [ 9 Answers ]

I am currently on an H1b visa (for last 1.5 year) and my brother (under 17 years of age)is under F1 visa (been here in high school since August 2006). I am paying for his tuition and was wondering if I can claim tax deduction based on the fact that he would be considered a dependent under me. He...

Can a H1 claim a F1 as dependent? [ 4 Answers ]

This is the first time I am filing taxes under H1 status. I have been working on OPT until Oct 2007 and since then working on H1. I am single and My brother stays with me under F1 visa (since 2005) and I would like to know if I can claim my brother as my dependent. He does not have any income...

Dependent Claim [ 7 Answers ]

I claimed my mother as dependent in 2006 after checking if all requirements are met. But she is afraid of losing part or all of her social security benefits. I am considering filing an amendment to disclaim her as dependent. But I am afraid when it is time for social security to review her...

Can I claim mom as a dependent [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My is here with me for the past six months (came to US in 1st week of Oct 2006). She does not have a SSN. Can I claim my mother as dependent for 2006 taxes. If not, what are the conditions for a person to claim his/her mother/father as dependent during tax filing. Appreciate a prompt...

View more questions Search