Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    onexmadxdisaster Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2008, 05:09 PM
    Block heater- installation
    I posted a question about my car before but can't find it. 89 mustang 2.3 liter won't start when its cold, new battery and iso heat to fuel line still a no go in below zero.
    I bought a plain block heater, that attaches to the lower radiator hose. Simple enough, I watched my dad replace a broken flush fill cap on another hose. Snip, insert, clamp. But, since it is a radiator hose, and a lower one, I need to empty my radiator fluid, correct?
    How do I go about that? My useless dad said something about a wingnut on the corner of my radiator, and I think I found it but it is facing vertical, and I don't know if it would make a mess. I am working on finding something short but big enough to empty it into, and I know I will need new radiator fluid, but any ideas? Its in my driveway, surrounded by about 4 inches of ice, so getting under it is going to be a hassle, and I can't move it to ramps or anything because it won't start. That and I have no idea what to cut the hose with... please help me. I feel stupid.
    Amelia
    dash4g Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2008, 05:22 PM
    Neh, don't feel stupid... easy enough, just make sure you get er up on blocks, have a ice cream bucket (4L+) or 2 lying around to catch the fluid, anything works...

Loosen the wingnut (get ready for spillage) and maybe have a magnet on hand in case you drop the wingnut in your fuss...

To reduce the amount of fluid coming out of the rad (not by much, but still... ) jack it up on the side where the hose is, and just remove your hose... fluid will spill everywhere, just catch it.

Once it has settled down, remove your hose (maybe more spillage still) and do your block heater. It can (and most likely will be) messy, but doesn't have to be, with the right preparations.

Oh, and with your rad hose, just use a xacto knife or ANY sharp knife on hand, industry scissors or model knives... always cut to less than too much
    eyeglass11 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2008, 05:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by onexmadxdisaster
    I posted a question about my car before but can't find it. 89 mustang 2.3 liter wont start when its cold, new battery and iso heat to fuel line still a no go in below zero.
    I bought a plain block heater, that attaches to the lower radiator hose. Simple enough, i watched my dad replace a broken flush fill cap on another hose. Snip, insert, clamp. But, since it is a radiator hose, and a lower one, I need to empty my radiator fluid, correct?
    How do I go about that? my useless dad said something about a wingnut on the corner of my radiator, and I think i found it but it is facing vertical, and i dont know if it would make a mess. I am working on finding something short but big enough to empty it into, and I know I will need new radiator fluid, but any ideas? Its in my driveway, surrounded by about 4 inches of ice, so getting under it is going to be a hassle, and I can't move it to ramps or anything because it wont start. That and I have no idea what to cut the hose with.... please help me. I feel stupid.
    Amelia
    You solution is a simple, but not in zero weather.
    The radiator empty valve is at the bottom of the radiator, Turn it counter clockwise
    With a pair of pliers. Make sure you have a drain pan under it.
    Still, the coolent in your engine will not drain without the engine running.
    The coolent in your engine needs to be brought to above freezing.
    Maybe you can bring the auto inside. Good luck.
    onexmadxdisaster Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2008, 09:00 AM
    Thank you, went well with lack of help and freezing cold. Not as hard as I anticipated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

7.3 Diesel block heater install [ 2 Answers ]

How do I install a block heater in my Ford 7.3L F-250 truck? Thanks

Block Heater - How To Tell If It's Working? [ 3 Answers ]

Hey All, I live in Northern Canada and I've been having some troubles starting my car in the morning when it's -20C to -40C outside. I've also been plugging my car in and it still doesn't start on some days. (most days) Does anyone know how I can check if my block heater is even working? ...

Programming Noma Block Heater Timer [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Noma Automatic Daily Setting Block Heater timer that I have lost the instructions to. I need to program it to come on and warm up the block heater of my car tonight and cannot remember how to do it! Can anyone out there help me?

View more questions Search