Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kayepp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2008, 11:16 AM
    Housebreaking deaf boxer puppies
    Hello, I have two deaf boxer puppies that I have had now for about a month. I am home most of the time with them and I take them out at least once an hour, but they still poop and pee in their bed(crate) a lot. The will even go potty on their bed that is in the crate for them. What am I doing wrong and what can I do to fix this problem and make it right, so that I can enjoy my babies instead of wishing that I wouldn't have gotten them?:eek:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2008, 12:00 PM
    Thank you for taking those special needs puppies. Start by reading through the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251809

The command and praise won't work. You can easily replace the praise with treats. The command? Maybe some sort of a hand signal.

Although the crate is a great tool, the puppy learns nothing in the crate. Leaving the puppy in the crate is worse yet if the breeder kept it shut up through the important 6-12 week period when it should have been learning to go outside. What you need to do is watch the puppy, as I explain in the sticky, and take it out when it shows signs that it needs to go. Once outside, walk it around perhaps giving whatever hand signal you may have chosen.
    shortstuff001 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2009, 05:53 PM

I have a deaf Jack Russell Terrier she is now 10 yrs old and doing well. To train her I used hand signals a fist to sit, a snap and piont to the gound for lay down, index finger tip on the floor is to play dead, drag the index finger to roll over pass palm in front of face for stay etc.. The best way to achieve this is a food reward for the desired behaviour performed. Boxers also do not like to lay down so a good trick is the bow... also to get the dogs attention I have to stomp or tap the floor. Other senses are heightened

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Deaf Dog? [ 5 Answers ]

I am not possitive but think my puppy has hearing problems. He is five months old. We have only had him 3 weeks but he doesn't respond to his name, kissy sounds, claps or anything. Only thing that he seems to hear and is scared of is the vacuum cleaner. How can I find out if he has problems...

Deaf barking dog [ 2 Answers ]

My dog, eva, barks all day when I leave her in her cage. This wouldn't be a huge problem except I live in an apartment complex and she drives my neighbors crazy. I know that she isn't hearing noises that make her bark because she is stone deaf. I have no idea what to do. I have never had a...

Lab and boxer puppies [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 9 month lab, and we are thinking about adding a new 3 month old boxer into the mix. My lab is a female and the boxer is a male. Will they get along at this age? Please help me with your answer Eggs

Deaf Puppy [ 4 Answers ]

I just adopted a very precious border collie, only to find out days later she is deaf. I've had a blind dog for ten years... but have no experience in deaf dogs. I have only found one book that was specifically for training deaf dogs. It was pretty general. Does anyone have any other...

Going deaf [ 1 Answers ]

My hearing loss is due to the nerve dying. My mother had the same problem. Any suggestions on how to stop/reverse the process. Thanks, Hatman

View more questions Search