Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    awhitte1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2008, 02:55 PM
    Georgia judgement law
    Does the law in Georgia allow personal property such as your car or real estate to be seized -- I have a judgement against me. Also how long is the judgement and garnishment good for?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2008, 03:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by awhitte1
    Does the law in Georgia allow personal property such as your car or real estate to be seized -- I have a judgement against me. Also how long is the judgement and garnishment good for?

In general (and I can't speak for Georgia) the creditor has no interest in your car and/or real estate - they don't want to go through the bother when they can file against bank accounts and garnishee wages. I believe Georgia Judgments are "good" for 7 years and can be renewed for another 7. By that time I'm sure the creditor will be paid!

This surprises me but in Georgia the creditor can withhold 25% of your after tax earnings PLUS your employer is allowed to charge YOU a handling fee of up to $50 per paycheck on top of that!

Amazing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Non-resident Georgia taxes, working within Georgia [ 3 Answers ]

I have been working in Georgia, for a Georgia based company, for the past 22 years while living in Florida. I have had Georgia tax taken out of my salary all this time. I have filed Georgia Income Tax and filled out the schedule for "Non-residents" every year. It indicates that I must pay the tax...

Judgement in Georgia - Identity Theft [ 2 Answers ]

I am a victim of identity theft. Recently, I received a letter stating a default judgement was entered against me. I called the court, they told me to call the attorney for the creditor. The attorney said if I received the letter, it was sent to the same address I was served at. I was NEVER...

Georgia law [ 1 Answers ]

Can part time teacher collect unempolyment compensation between school terms? Can an professional athletes receive unemployment compensation? Are aliens covered by the umemployment compensation law? Are benefits payable to a female during pregency?

Judgement Papers Served in Georgia [ 13 Answers ]

I have a few questions. I live in Georgia. I was served with judgement papers for an old debt from 2000 that I just didn't (and still don't) have the money to pay. I have 30 days to respond to the Clerk of Court. I have since re-married. I do not work (my husband does), but I am too ill to...

Georgia Tax Law Re Marital Status [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I find a definitive answer to when can an individual be considered unmarried for tax purposes in Georgia? Federal law says marital status is determined by the state, therefore if the individual can be considered unmarried by the state he/she can file as single or HoH on the federal...

View more questions Search