Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chucker9er Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 07:12 PM
    Toilet water not going through fill tube
    My toilet water is simply trickling out of the top of the valve, down the arm, rather than going through the fill tube. I tried putting a hanger into the hole leading to the fill tube, to see if anything was blocking. What could be the problem and how do I fix it? Thank you.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 07:16 PM
    Is there a ball at the end of the arm.. Or does a ball surround the fill valve and go up and down?
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 07:24 PM
    I borrowed this from speedball1... does your fill valve look anything like fill valve on left?
    Attached Images

Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 07:31 PM
    If your valve looks like valve in left of picture above then shut off water... hold valve body in one hand,, and then push down and rotate cap counterclockwise with the other (should see arrow on top). When cap dislodges you will see a rubber washer... loosen and remove that... then inspect and clean. Then, take a cloth and cover the top of valve and turn the water on to toilet (removes debris from line if any still in there)

Then replace the washer, replace the cap and turn water on to see if this fixed it. Let us know what happens. If necessary these are really easy to replace!!

NOTE---> Be careful with your hands indide the toilet tank... see that picture of overflow assembly on right above (flush valve)... if you break that overflow tube... you will need to replace that assmbly as well.. and that is a much more involved job. Good luck!

Thanks again to speedball1.. what a great pic.!

If it does not look like this valve let us know and we will try to talk you through the old style valve.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet tank will not fill with water [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, When flushing the toilet, the bowl is full with water but the tanks is empty. When releasing the lever to flush the toilet neither the water in the bowl is released or does the tank fill with water, can you please advise what is causing this and how I can fix this trouble bymyself. ...

Toilet won't fill with water [ 2 Answers ]

Is there an easy fix for this problem, or do I need to call a plumber? My toilet won't fill with water.

Toilet will not fill up with water [ 1 Answers ]

One day the toilet just stopped filling. I've adjusted the water valve right below the toilet but it has not changed any thing. I'm in an apartment style condo so I can't follow the pipes below me. The toilet has always been slow to fill up. Any suggestions?

Toilet Tank will not fill with water [ 3 Answers ]

My toilet tank does not fill back up with water after I flush it. I turned off the valve, disconnected the hose, and turned the valve back on to see if there might be a clog, but there was none. Also, there is a trickling dripping noise coming from inside the tank, but there is now water leaking...

Leaking toilet water supply tube [ 11 Answers ]

I replaced the ballcock on my toilet and I have ended up with 2 problems. Please note that I am a DIY novice. Here goes. The first problem is that after replacing the ballcock, I turned the water on and it immediately started to leak. I figured that the connection was loose and so I tried again...

View more questions Search