Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scri8e Posts: 92, Reputation: 7

Jan 28, 2008, 06:06 PM
    Re-building a Privacy Fence-Permits Codes Long beach CA
    Re-building a Privacy Fence-Permits Codes Long beach CA

I'm a Landlord. I have a four unit property.
    A 3 bedroom 2 bath SFH and a detached building with 3 2 bedroom apartments. I have a section of fence that was knocked over with the high winds we have had as of late. I took it the rest of the way down. Bought the materials needed to rebuild it and now I want to get a permit to do it proper. This property is in Long Beach CA. The old fence was a 2 rail frame with red wood grape sticks nailed on it. I want to replace with pressure treated 4x4 wood posts. Pressure treated 2x4 two rail frame and 4" wide by 6' tall red wood dog ear slats.

I called building and planning of Long Beacxh CA and asked what I needed to re-build the fence. Do I need a permit? Do I need plans?

The guy told me I need a building permit.

Me:
    Do you have specs on height and all?

Building Department:
    You can draw it all out here. All you need is your measurements.

Me:
    Don't I have to have so many feet between posts? How many rails? etc.

Building Department:
    No you just need a general building permit.

Me:
    (Doh!) Is there some where online I can access this information?

Building Department:
    Yes go to
    http://www.longbeach.gov/plan/
    Click on the permits. You want a building permit application.

So I go looking around again. The general building permit isn't squat. I go looking in "Help for the home builder." 103 pages.
    There is stuff on a block wall page 71.
    Info on a fence around a pool or spa page 42.
    That is it?

Don't you have to have like a blue print, a drawing and isn't there specs for fences in the city of Long Beach CA? Like how deep the post holes have to be? I won't have any property line issues as this is the outside
    of a corner piece of property. It's also set into the property from the side walk about 6 feet. And up on a concrete rise about 4 foot high. It's the side yard off the house, off the kitchen.

Check out some similar questions!

Wood privacy fence with steel (metal) fence [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, We are planning to put in a 6' wood privacy fence on the sides of our property. We would like to install a metal (steel posing as wrought iron) fence across the front at a later date. My understanding is the terminal metal fence posts would be directly beside but not attached to the terminal...

What kind of shrub for a "privacy fence"? [ 6 Answers ]

Are they arborvitea? Box shrubs? I want to grow a dense shrub wall, just about 2-3 ft high, between my lot and my neighbor's. Maybe 12 ft long, 2 ft wide. How long will it take to do this? Can I buy some and plant them close together, or do they need to just take the natural course? I'm...

Thinking of building a fence? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am thinking of putting up a fence. Just an aluminum one (grills) in the front yard. App. 4-5 feet. Does anyone know any less labor requiring techniques? Or maybe a website where I can visit to get instructions? Thanks

Privacy Fence Replacement [ 4 Answers ]

I saw on a home flipping show that the flipper replaced the fencing with a fence that had the look of wood but was some kind of durable plastic I think. I don't believe it was vinyl. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? I think it is supposed to be less expensive than vinyl. I would...

Rights to tennants living in an apt building for a long time [ 4 Answers ]

I have A question my mom has lived in her building for over 18 years.. can her rent change.and should she be signing a lease.. shes.paid the same amount.new owner raised her rent up 50 dollars.then a new guy is managing the building.and raised another 20 dollars.she was paying rent and...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.