Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    im51504u Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2008, 04:32 PM
    State Disability
    I claimed state disability for 5 months. I live in California. Do I claim that on my taxes?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 02:35 AM
    This is from a IRS publication:

"Generally, you must report as income any amount you receive for personal injury or sickness through an accident or health plan that is paid for by your employer. If both you and your employer pay for the plan, only the amount you receive that is due to your employer's payments is reported as income. However, certain payments may not be taxable to you. Your employer should be able to give you specific details about your pension plan and tell you the amount you paid for your disability pension. In addition to disability pensions and annuities, you may be receiving other payments for sickness and injury."
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 01:29 PM
    Contact the California state agency that manages the disability program and ASK if the benefits are taxable.

They MAY be taxable if you had other income sources.

However, if it is your ONLY source if income, then it may NOT be taxable.

The best way to be sure, however, is to ASK!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need to claim my state disability income on my taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in California and have been receiving state disability for 8 months. Do I need to report this income on my taxes this year? If so, do I have to pay both state and federal taxes on this money? Thank you:)

Ssdi social security disability arrears in Oregon state [ 6 Answers ]

First post ,I see some of you look to be getting some help so I thought I would ask a question that no lawyer that I have talked to yet can answer . I have been out of work for 7 yrs do to a disability all along racking up arrears I had a few meadeations administrative hearings and...

Teacher retirement disability and social security disability [ 1 Answers ]

I qualified for both teacher retirement disability and social security disability. I saw the quote (below) but I'm uncertain how or if it also applies to me. "If the disability comes from Social Security, it is tax free. If it comes from your employer, it IS taxable." Also, my son...

2 states: Can I credit state tax of one state to other state [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 W-2. One from job in Mass. Mass state tax is withheld in that W-2. Then I moved to NC and got a new job in NC. NC state tax is withheld in this second jobs W-2. Both W-2 only have state tax withheld from their corresponding states. So can I credit taxes of one state to another and...

View more questions Search