Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pitbullluvr Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2008, 07:42 PM
    Replacing light - with red, white and black
    First off thank you for any advice you may have... Issue: I had a fixure that fell out of my ceiling so I'm not sure how it was all connected. What I see in the ceiling are 5 black wires a connect via a thick twist connector, I have the same 5 connected the same way for white wires, then I have one single Red wire. I connected my white to white and black to black from the light fixture since that what it had (only white and black). Well good news the light worked but would not shut off at the switch. I then tried putting the red with the group of black, heard a pop but light stayed on even when shutting off through the switch. Idiot me, I tried the red with the white and pop I blew the switch outlet. So then I decided to power test the wires... Black and white light the tool, but black/red, or white/red does not. I know all the wires must go to other fixtures in the dinning room as when I removed the black cap twist from the 5 black wires, a couple light went out... so now I bought a new fixture with black, white and green (ground). Should I attach all the black, all the white and my red from the ceiling to the new ground wire from the fixture? Will that make the switch work?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2008, 08:53 PM
    All the blacks go together, all the whites go together +plus goes to light White. Light black will go to the red wire(This comes from your switch).
    If you hook it up and it doesn't work, switch may need replacement.(due to short)
    pitbullluvr Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2008, 08:16 AM
    Thank you Stratmando for your reply, but want to make sure I understand. So the all the black and all the white coming out of my ceiling stay together, the light white goes with the group of white out of the ceiling. The black from the light goes to the red wire from the ceiling and the light ground wire connects to the ground screw. Again many thanks!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2008, 11:42 AM
    You've got it exactly. If it doesn't work, suspect switch. It is probably OK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing light fixture- wires ( red, black and white?) [ 24 Answers ]

Just changed light fixture. When I put the power back on the light worked but the switch on the wall will not shut the light off. In the ceiling there was 3 wires. One black,one white and one red. The fixture that I put up has only black, white and ground. So I attached the black to black,...

Replacing a ceiling fan with fixture that only has black & white wires [ 3 Answers ]

I am replacing a ceiling fan and there is a red, black and white wire in the ceiling box. It appears the switch is connected to the black (top connection) & red (bottom connection) on the light switch. The ceiling fixture only has a black & white wires. When I connect black to black and white...

New chandalier light with no white or black? [ 4 Answers ]

Just picked up a really nice new chandelier. Takes 5 standard size bulbs. After wrestling the thing up and mounting it to the ceiling I realized that there's no way to tell which wire is for black and which is for white. They are both insulated in black. One side has a print down it ID'ing...

90's Movie Cover black and white hands clasped, one with red nail polish [ 6 Answers ]

I'm 19 years old now and I huge movie fanatic. I remember walking through the video store as a child and seeing this movie box with the picture of a black and white hand clasped on the cover. I think one hand had red nail polish, I was just trying to figure out what movie that was if anyone...

I have black red White wire in the ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

I have black red and white wires in the ceiling and blue black white and green on the fan which do I hook up to which?

View more questions Search