Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    happy711 Posts: 215, Reputation: 4

Jan 25, 2008, 08:38 PM
    Fish tank into hamster environment
    I have a very big fishtank about 72 gallons or so. It is saltwater but my brother tries but can not keep the fish alive long enough. So I was thinking about getting a hamster. Could it live in glass fish tank? And are the hard to take care of and need a lot of time because I also have a dog.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2008, 08:44 PM
    Clean it out really good first and use a good thick tight mesh wire cover on the top. One that it can't stick its head into or chew threw. You might need to fix it so that the top doesn't come off easily either.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2008, 06:52 PM
    If it is 72 gallons that is a huge tank. The poor little hamster is going to get lost in it. I would get a smaller tank for a hamster - say 15 gallons tops. Hamsters are not hard to take care of. Just remember to feed them and give them water.

Have your brother start keeping fresh water fish instead and keep the 72 gallon tank. Salt water fish are VERY hard to keep. I had 21 aquariums in my home at one time years ago and I never lost any fish as they were all fresh water. I had a 50 gallon tank and had huge fish that lived a long time in it.
    teghancat Posts: 24, Reputation: -1

Mar 17, 2008, 10:19 AM
    Omg! Yes you totally can! Just buy a screen top (so your hamster can breathe) and buy all the right things. Clean it REALLY well. As for taking care of your hamster, it is not hard, but it does take devotion. You can't decide you want a hamster and then neglect it. The dog should be fine with the hamster (just curious maybe) Make sure your hamster has fresh water and food
    At all times and change cage once every week or once every 2 weeks. May I also suggest a dwarf hamster?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

PH adjustments in my fish tank [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 30 gallon fish tank with discus fish I can't seem to lower the PH to the correct setting. I have tried everything at the local pet store it is about 7.5 I need 7.0 please help:confused:

Fish tank cloudiness [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I have been having a problem with my fish tank I bought it about a week ago filled it with water the water I filled it with is softened water it has been running for a week with filter/heater every thing is in it the day I set it up it looked a little cloudy so I added in the chemical it came...

Cloudy fish tank [ 4 Answers ]

I just got a 28litre tank and have been running it for two days now with no fish in.I use the filter that came with the tank and have put nutrafin water conditioner and biological aquarium supplement.but when I got home today the water was cloudy . Is this normal and will it go away and when will...

The # of fish a fish tank can hold. [ 3 Answers ]

The number of tropical fish that an aquarium can hold depends on the volume of the fish tank. The interior dimensions of the fish tank below are 28 cm, 49 cm, and 52 cm. Each fish requires 10,000 cubic centimeters of water. How many tropical fish will this fish tank hold?

View more questions Search