Ask
    easyrider01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2008, 08:24 PM
    Drywall screws
    By the nec are drywall screw allowed for securing electrical componets
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2008, 06:18 AM
    Drywall screws are for supporting drywall. (Emphasis on the period)

The NEC does not address specific supporting methods, other that stating "fasten securely in place" and use products "listed" for the application.

Have drywall screws been used to support electrical equipment?

More than you can imagine.

A good inspector will catch these being used and ask for proper screws to be used. Corrosion resistant wood screws for outdoor installations, for example.

Hopefully an inspector will tell you what not to use before you use something, but not always. It is up to an installer to be knowledgeable of what is proper to use before installing the wrong produt and have to change it later.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Receptacles - use both screws or pigtail connections? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm installing a series of receptacles in a row - chaining one to another. In the recept box, when feeding the next receptacle, can I simply screw The feed hot to the unused 2nd brass screw on the recp (and likewise the Feed neutral to the unused 2nd silver screw) to feed the next receptacle. ...

Do boxes need protection from sheetrock screws? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi - new to the site, thanks for the help. It seems that if the wires need to be a minimum of 1-1/4" the edge of a stud, then shouldn't the backs of switch and outlet boxes be as well? On an interior 2x4 wall, even the smaller 18cu inch boxes encroach into the 1 -1/4" setback required for...

Screws to secure toilet to short [ 3 Answers ]

I'm putting a new toilet in my bathroom after remodeling. I haven't put the wax ring on yet but after placing the bowl over the sewer pipe to see how it fits the screws to secure the toilet bowl to the pipe are level with the lip of the porcaline so there is no way to attach the bolts. Is there...

Dry wall screws popping out [ 6 Answers ]

I am only 2 months into a newly built home and the screws that were used for the drywall appear to be popping out in several places. I have seen an earlier post about nails and the reply suggested screws, but these screws are coming out too! Is this normal for a house only 2 months old? What do I...

Tried to remove strainer, screws snapped [ 2 Answers ]

I tried to remove the strainer in our stall shower today to get in there and clean out the drain; the house is 50 years old (but new to us) and I don't think the strainer had been removed in a long time (if ever). It's about 3" in diameter, held in by two screws opposite one another. The screws...

View more questions Search