Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marcyljohnson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2008, 06:55 PM
    Can a landlord in NH assess late fees on a late fee carried over month to month?
    My last lease said that on the 5th day a $5.00 fee is assessed and then $2 everyday there after. After I signed my last rent increase, at the time of last renewal I never received a new full lease agreement. Supposedly the amount of late fees went up without notification or signing of notification, this increase was enacted 3 months later. Now it is $25 will be added to the rent on the 6th day. Now when I contest it because of no written notification and they charged me twice in one month my landlord says I can pay the $5 and $2 everyday after and since the first months late fees weren't paid then the next months late fee starts on the 1st day of the month. Resulting in $60 + each month. Can a landlord charge a late fee on a late fee not rent?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2008, 07:32 PM
    Why don't you just pay on time and let the landlord go pound sand instead?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 22, 2008, 08:11 PM
    Normally when you make a payment, any payment made will be applied to any balance due.

But with that said,ifyou have a signed written lease, they can not change any of the fees in the lease, unless it specificly says they can. For example, my lease states the late fee's, that is all they can charge me, till there is a new lease, no matter what fees they change, they can not legally change my fees, since mine are set in the lease.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My period is late but was fine last month. [ 4 Answers ]

I'm 18. (if this makes a difference) Last month I got my period on the 22nd the month before on the 24th.. I haven't been sexually active since my last period but its late. I've been kind of witchy(with a b) lately, I thought I was getting craps, and sometimes around my "area" it hurts on the...

Landlord Requireing 60 day notice to vacate on Month to Month Lease [ 5 Answers ]

I've lived in this apartment for 4 years. For the past year we have been going month to month, as we anticipated we might need to move out when we purchased a condo. Well, we got the condo, and now need to close in 1 month, yet the management in our apartment complex tells us we need to give...

I am a month late. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi... I am about a month late for my normal period. I have taken several hpt's and a urine test at the doctors. All of these tests were negative. So I am guessing I am probably going to be skipping my pd this month. If my boyfriend and I continue having sex could I get pregnant? Or would I be OK,...

Tenant is late with rent every month and is now avoiding Landlord [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I think I might have a complicated question but am hoping someone out there knows the answer to this. I own a property and entered into a month-to-month lease with the Tenants (Husband and Wife). Generally, in my state (Florida), I am legally required to give a fifteen day notice to the...

My period is late but was on time last month. Am I pregnant! Answer ! [ 3 Answers ]

please help me. i had sex with an ex around 6 or 7 weeks ago maybe a bit less and my period came as it usually does. This month im 3 days late and i have no syptoms except my stomach is a bit bloated. Im a bit of a worrier and i have no one to turn to and im to scared to go to the doctor to take a...

View more questions Search