Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Totally Screwed Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Jan 21, 2008, 09:04 PM
    Determining the sex of a child
    Is it true that the older a man gets the more the chance he has of producing a male child. And if so why is this? Please explain. Thank you!:confused:
    rockerchick26 Posts: 93, Reputation: 22

Jan 21, 2008, 09:42 PM
    No that isn't true! I majored in biology in college... OK here is how it works:
    Women are XX and men are XY.
    A single sperm is either X or Y (your genetic material "XY" splits in half when your testes make your sperm.)
    A single egg is an "X."
    When they meet they:
    (1)form XX (X from mom+X from dad=(girl)
    or
    (2) form XY (X from mom+Y from dad=(boy).
    There is no way your body would be able to distinguish between the two (x or y) or shoot more Y's to conceive a boy. I hope that makes sense!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 16, 2008, 10:55 AM
    No, age of man has little to dowith it.
    jem02081 Posts: 65, Reputation: 19

Feb 19, 2008, 05:29 PM
    First, it is an inaccurate over simplification to simply look at the possible products of meiosis and say that the sex ratios at birth must be 1:1
    A lot can happen, both before conception (primary sex ratio) and after conception (secondary sex ratio) that can alter the sex ratio. But the effects are relatively small, for example, at birth there are 105 males born for every 100 females. See the sex ratio entry in Wikipedia Sex ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is there an effect of paternal age? The topic seems to be controversial. Why? It could be other things are responsible for the effect in any specific study (material age or birth order). This would result in an observed effect on paternal age but, it would be due to the paternal age being correlated to “real” reason. So, a man age might actually contribute a little to sex ratio... but not enough to "explain" the outcome of a specific pregnancy!

Biology is full of examples in animals of biased sex ratios that are the result of selection. If there are theories about natural selection acting on human sex ratios I’m not aware of them... but I bet there are some!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Determining US Citizenship [ 3 Answers ]

How does one determine the US citizenship of someone?

View more questions Search