Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starrviolet Posts: 64, Reputation: 6

Jan 19, 2008, 09:57 PM
    I am 24 weeks and 4 days pregnant and I think I have food poisoning
    My question is can it effect the baby? Yesterday morning I had 2 breakfast burritos from mcdonalds. When I was eating I told my husband that it tasted funny.. but I figured that it must be because I was a little congested and when I have nasal congestion everything tastes funny, well anyway, yesterday evening my stomach started to cramp up and basically has been doing this all day long. I have had a headache that wouldn't go away and I felt a little feverish today at work.. Can this affect my baby? I am not throwing up or anyhting, just constant stomach cramps like upset stomach and when I eat (I force food for the baby's sake) it hurts when the food hits the stomach
    hollylovesbrandon Posts: 633, Reputation: 78

Jan 19, 2008, 10:15 PM
    Never force yourself to eat. The baby will be fine. No matter what people tell you you are NOT eating for 2. just for one. My friend only ate salads while she was pregnant and only gained 14 lbs. Just make sure you eat the right foods when you do eat, and a breakfast burrito doesn't sound that great ( although I understand the hecticness of life). Although I do not know if this can affect your baby, I would still call your doctor and have him check you out. You don't need to be sick in any way while pregnant.

Jan 20, 2008, 10:20 AM
    Ok Why is it that ten people look at my question and only one person will answer it?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2008, 10:27 AM
    Star when I was around 7 months pregnantI got food poisioning. I had severe throwing up... over 10 times in 1 hour... I was seriously ill. It required me to be put in the hospital. I was given something to stop the vomiting and given fluids by I.V. I had dehydrated. This was also during a already complicated pregnancy. My baby turned out just fine and weighed almost 7 pounds. I think you will be fine. But if you are really concerned you need to get a check up.

Btw I don't think food posioning will be accompanied by a fever maybe you have the flu or some other type of virus.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 20, 2008, 11:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starrviolet
    Ok Why is it that ten people look at my question and only one person will answer it?
    That is because those other 9 people probably didn't know how to answer your question.

Now, chances are that you don't have food poisoning. Food poisoning will cause a lot more than just cramps. Food poisoning does not cause fever. This may just be a stomach virus.

You need to notify your doctor about this to get a proper diagnosis. You could be having some pre-term labor issues, or it could be just that the food didn't sit right with you. But, in the end, you need this to be properly diagnosed.

Jan 20, 2008, 12:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    That is because those other 9 people probably didn't know how to answer your question.

Now, chances are that you don't have food poisoning. Food poisoning will cause a lot more than just cramps. Food poisoning does not cause fever. This may just be a stomach virus.

You need to notify your doctor about this to get a proper diagnosis. You could be having some pre-term labor issues, or it could be just that the food didn't sit right with you. But, in the end, you need this to be properly diagnosed.
    Thank you.. actually I'm feeling a whole bunch better this morning but still not 100 percent. I am not having contractions or anything just like stomach upset, but it seems to be alleviating. I think you are right though, I probably just got some kind of virus. I am going to call my doctor first thing Monday morning though.

Jan 21, 2008, 09:49 AM
    Ok yesterday I was feeling a little better but still not 100 percent, and now this morning I wake up with diarrhea and I have had it 4 times this morning and its only 8:45 here.. I called my doctor first think this morning to see if I should come in and left a message for the doctors nurse and she should be calling me back shortly. Its just really weird because never in my life, even before I was pregnant did I get diarrhea without taking some kind of laxative so I'm a little worried that I may have caught something that could affect my baby.. Now I'm just waiting on the call back

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

5 weeks 2 days pregnant and brown spotting [ 13 Answers ]

Hi guys! Thanks for all of the well wishes after the good news came. I am having some discharge... old brown blood mixed with mucous... very light. It isn't constant. I'll have it for a day or two and then nothing for three or four days. Had my blood drawn today for the full prenatal screen...

4 weeks pregnant confirmed but not feeling pregnant [ 22 Answers ]

I'm 4 weeks pregnant started bleeding yesterday but it stopping now the problem is I'm not feeling any symptoms but then again I'm only 4 weeks are they to start around 10 weeks before my mood was at a high like I've never fely before my appetite has gone over the last few days but that might be...

Soreness and weird feelings at 13 weeks 5 days [ 4 Answers ]

For the past week, I've had a sore lower back. It comes and goes. I haven't strained myself in anyway and it's usually in the late afternoon into the night when I get this sore back. It feels just like that, a sore muscle. Then for the past couple of days I've had this weird feeling right under...

Desperate my dog has kidney failure she loves food but has not eaten for 14 days [ 3 Answers ]

Phoebe our dog who is 8 years old English Cocker Spaniel suddenly become poorly, our vet has tried everything, she has been on IV fluids to flush out toxins out but she will still will not eat she she's food and runs away terrible to see as she loves food, she is still wagging her tail and showing...

Food for to become pregnant [ 1 Answers ]

We have been trying for 1month to get pregnant. We have been having sex every day Can anyone help answer why I might be having such difficulties? And could you tell me is there any types of food for helping me to become pregnant ?

View more questions Search