Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    islandlife76 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2008, 04:54 PM
    York Air Condenser Running HARD
    We have a York Air Condenser that is approximately 15 years old. This evening, the condenser was running so hard and the fan was turning so fast that we could hear it inside our home. Upon closer inspection, it looked (and sounded) like a turbine engine that was about to launch a C-130. I turned off the HVAC system and it eventually stopped (although it did take a few minutes). Any ideas as to what could be going on? Is our condenser on its last leg?? :confused:
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2008, 06:50 PM
    Do you have an idea where the noise was coming from, do you think it was the fan motor or the compressor. If the bearings in the fan motor get dry and loose they will set uo a vibration that will sound terrible. If that is the problem it is not too bad if it is from the compressor that be the end of you unit. But it needs to be diagnosed very closely before anything is done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Condenser fan not running [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 25 year old Carrier (Model 28GS) A/C. It has been working fine until today. The condenser fan (outdoors) doesn't turn on, but I do hear the hum of the compressor. I believe the fan should be running all the time. I'm assuming the compressor is operating OK, even though it's not that...

1995ish York Gas Furnace Running, pilot on, no heat [ 4 Answers ]

I tried to start my furnace this morning and all seemed to come on except for the main burners. The pilot was out so I started that, the blower came on as before, but still no main burners. I had the thermostat replaced at the end of March. I believe this York is from 1995 and the model # is...

Running two hard drives [ 1 Answers ]

Just brought 2nd hand packard bell iextreme 9805 spec is pent4 1800,256mb ram,40 gig hard drive... tryin to put Samsung 200 gig hard drive in it with no success can't even run it alongside the smaller one all that happends is computer keeps restarting after getting the safe mode screen select any...

Furnace keep running while condenser has stopped [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, When I switch my thermostat to cool, the furnace fan runs as long as I keep setting at cool, but the condenser stop after about 30 minutes. The fan switch on the thermostat set to Auto. As far as I remember, the whole system should run for a period and then stop for a while (like taking...

Running 2 hard drives [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a naïve when it comes to setting up computers, recently I acquired a computer with a fried motherboard but the hard drive is fine and I want to run both hard drives in my existing computer, one for the operating system and one for my junk that currently slows down my computer. I have...

View more questions Search