Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrsfixit26 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2008, 09:27 AM
    How do I remove a kitchen faucet
    Is there anything special I should know about removing a kitchen faucet? Can I use a putty knife to remove the old caulking and then simply remove it? That is after I've unscrewed the lines.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2008, 09:46 AM
    There really shouldn't be caulk. You use plumber's putty. It will not harden. You just make a bead on the fixture and force the bead out and remove the excess putty. Putty isn't sticky either.

Now for removal. Some faucets require "special tools" to get the nuts off the bottom, especially ones with only a single hole.

Two handle faucets have nuts and usually you need the funky looking wrench to remove the nuts.

Sometimes the water lines are hard plumbed ad require cutting.

There are nuts at the bottom of the fixture that generally require special tools to remove. Some standard special tools and some specialty. I have hung the tool used to install a Delta 470 faucet under the faucet, since it came in the package.
    mrsfixit26 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2008, 10:11 AM
    The faucet is a standard 2 hole Price Pfister so hopefully I don't need any special tools (there weren't any in the box). I assume the "funky looking wrench" you're referring to is a basin wrench? If so, I've just got to find the bugger. It's one of those tools you never use but can't live without!
    Thanks for your help:D !
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 17, 2008, 12:13 PM
    If you are installing a new faucet the basin wrench may not be necessary since many faucets use a nylon nut with wings for hand tightening. Removing old stuff might require a basin, 12" works better under a sink. They are fairly cheap, about $12 if you can't find your old one. Are your supply lines tied to stops under the sink or not? If yes, close the stops and back off the small 3/8" compression nut on the top, I always replace the suplly lines when installing a new faucet, steel braided is my favorite.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2008, 12:42 PM
    So, you will need a little bit of plumber's putty and 2 wrenches for undoing the nuts. I like to use silicone plumbers grease to make things easy to remove later.

The basin wrench may or may not be required. Sometimes slip-joint pliers work.

Turn off the water under the sink and open the tap to MAKE SURE that the water is off before continuing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen Faucet Sprayer On - Main Faucet not totally off [ 2 Answers ]

We moved into a new house - new construction. When we use the sprayer in the kitchen faucet, water comes out the sprayer as it is supposed to, but the water does not completely shut off in the main faucet. There is still a thin column of water coming out. We had the faucet replaced, and this...

Remove faucet stem [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to repair a leaky faucet in my bathroom sink. I have removed the cap on the handle, removed the screw and pulled off the handle. I am unable to remove the stem. Does anyone have any suggestions? This is a Sayco faucet and could be 20 years old. Thank you.

Remove faucet head [ 4 Answers ]

I have a water faucet in my garage that I want to use to hook up an icemaker. How can I tell if the faucet head is sweated on to the pipe it is connected to or screwed on? I want to replace the faucet head with a shut off connection and run a plastic water line to the icemaker. ...

Remove Kohler faucet [ 4 Answers ]

I have a single handle pull out spray Kohler faucet. Can anyone tell me how to remove it. Thank you in advance.

View more questions Search