Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mtnbkr Posts: 83, Reputation: 2

Jan 17, 2008, 07:50 AM
    Cost to update my hvac.
    Please excuse my lack of knowledge in the field. I have an all electric system in my townhouse. We got a new heat pump installed about 3 years ago by the previous owner. The inside unit (what do I call this? Air handler?) is as old as the house, built in 1987. I figure it's time for an update. What should this cost me? What do I need to ask when calling around? Is there a way to see how efficient/inefficient it is running? Thanks.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 17, 2008, 09:38 AM
    ((What should this cost me))

No way to tell. Different areas different prices,different areas different sizes.

((What do I need to ask when calling around?))
    Ask for a estimate.

((Is there a way to see how efficient/inefficient it is running? Thanks.)
    A on site professional can probably give you an idea of efficiency but a big mistake was already made by the last owner.
    The unit should have been replaced complete inside and outside to start with. Newer units need a much larger coil inside to be efficient so as of right now your 3 year old unit is running like a unit from 1987.

Get at least two estimates and may the better contractor win.

Jan 17, 2008, 09:46 AM
    Any ballpark figures? I'm in MD.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 17, 2008, 10:36 AM
    ((Any ballpark figures? I'm in MD.))

Less than $10,000.00
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 17, 2008, 10:51 AM
    HVAC is giving it to you straight. Call 2, maybe 3 heating contractors and get an estimate, they are free. Try to have all contractors spect the same unit so you can better compare.

Jan 17, 2008, 11:29 AM
    Ok OK, I get it. Sorry. Are there some brands I might want to lean towards and some to avoid? Is there a good place to find some local contractors besides the phone book?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 17, 2008, 12:04 PM
    Where are you located? This sounds too simple but the larger ads in the yellow pages are from companies who are making money. Not scientific but they can be your best bet. Referrals from friends or coworker is good too. Check with your local Better Business to seeif they have many complaints.
    therinnaiguy Posts: 153, Reputation: 5

Jan 17, 2008, 01:53 PM
    For efficiency, Carrier or Trane /American Standard. For low cost, Goodman.

Jan 17, 2008, 05:52 PM
    I'm located in MD. I'll try to get someone over in the next week or so.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to update AVG antivirus Update to computer,which is not connect with internet [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Computer (No.A) is connected with internet. So I can get the update automatically. But, Computer (No.B, and No.C ) is not connect with internet. But we use the flash Drive and 3 1/2 Floppy disk. Without antivirus software, No.B & C can get the virus. Already having the antivirus software...

Cost of end. Inv. And cost of goods sold under average cost [ 1 Answers ]

It's me again! I have another question to the same problem. In case someone else responds, I'll post the problem again. June 1 inv20051000 June 12 purch.30061800 June 23 purch. 50073500 June 30 inv. I need to compute the cost of the ending inventory and the cost of goods sold using the...

Reducing Cost of Commercial HVAC [ 12 Answers ]

I'm trying to reduce my church's utility bill. Our HVAC works in four zones of 1500 square feet each. Two of the zones are the sanctuary, two are offices. We get a bill for each. The sanctuary zones cost us around $250 each, the office zones $130. They keep the air on 68 except Saturday night...

View more questions Search