Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sicntired Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2008, 11:23 PM
    Statute of limitations/Canada
    As no-one seems to have an answer to how long the duration of a debt is can anyone tell me if there is a limit to the collectability of a debt in Canada?:confused: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/images...s/confused.gif
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 15, 2008, 11:31 PM
    What kind of debt?
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Jan 15, 2008, 11:47 PM
    Limitation periods vary from province to province.

In Ontario, where we practice, the limitation period for commencing legal action is generally two years from the date of default or when the debt was last acknowledged by the debtor in either writing or by payment. Certain other conditions may apply.

Even if a limitation period has expired and the debt ceases to appear on your credit report it can technically still exist on the creditor's books. Consequently, a credit may continue to contact you about it for sometime afterwards or deny you credit in the future.

Jan 16, 2008, 12:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sicntired
    As no-one seems to have an answer to how long the duration of a debt is can anyone tell me if there is a limit to the collectability of a debt in Canada?:confused: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/images...s/confused.gif
    I've sent an inquiry to a lawyer.I'll be sure to post his or her answer as soon as I get it as there seems to be a lot of interest and confusion.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2008, 04:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sicntired {removed}
    You should never answer a question with a question.
    The statute of limitations depends on what type of debt it is.
    AndreSr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2008, 09:49 AM
    What is the statute of limitations on moey owed to me which exceeds small claims court to file a law suit in order to collect my money

Mar 4, 2008, 09:36 PM
    I'm beginning to believe that a debt is collect able if a person is willing to pursue the debtor no matter how much time has elapsed.I'm being harassed eight years after I became disabled, over a small debt that is now huge but 90% interest.I hadn't heard a thing in over 6 years and some agency picked the debt up for 2cents on the dollar and is becoming quite annoying.I was told the limit was seven years but have been able to find nothing to confirm this.I offered to pay the original debt but was turned down and now I have no interest in any further discussion with the idiots.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Statute of limitations in Canada [ 15 Answers ]

I want to know how long the statute of limitations is on a debt to a third party who secured a loan that was defaulted on. I am Canadian and the debt was incured here in Canada.:confused:

US / Canada Statute of Limitations on Debt [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a Statute of Limitations between the US and Canada on debt?

Statute of limitations for because Canada? [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know where I would find out what the statute of limitations for debt is in BC Canada? I'm trying to dispute a credit card debt that they tell me is from 2001. Thanks, any info appreciated.

Statute of limitations Canada [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I have a bank trying to collect for a loan I co-signed for, back in 1994. Is this legal? Anyone know? Orville

View more questions Search