Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    young mom Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2008, 11:47 PM
    dying my hair silver/gray
    I recently decided I wanted to have a change in hair color. I have black hair and I want to dye my hair silver/gray like halle berry in x-men.. any suggestions on how to do it without having to go to the salon?
    Attached Images

PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Jan 14, 2008, 03:48 PM
    Sweetie, if your hair is black and you want a silver shade, you will need to bleach your hair to lift the underlying pigments and then use a white and blue toner to achieve a silver/gray effect. I would recommend that you get this process done by a professional.
    young mom Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2008, 04:31 PM
    Oh OK.. thanks so much.. I was really hoping there were other ways.. but I guess not!
    QueenXenon Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Aug 20, 2009, 11:38 AM
    If you're not concerned about how it looks, it'll take time, but not necessarily money. You can do it yourself, there will just be a long period of awkward to keep your follicles from being shocked out
    stylist101 Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Aug 31, 2009, 12:37 AM

Some of the best colorist couldn't even do this!she's wearing a weave!its fake hair! To get black2blonde is very hard!only 2 color lines offer silver and since your not a licensed stylist you won't even have access to that color!don't be confused when you go2public beauty supply stores and see a white or silver color swatch!these are clear glosses used4shine!n the gray swatches?serve as gray coverage references! Please don't try and be a Hollywood stylist! You may lose that beautiful black hair! They do sell simple clip in extensions in silver! Maybe check those out!
    shyshibby Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2009, 07:12 AM
    The best way is to get it done professionally, but it can be done at home. Either way, you'll need a lot of time (probably a month) to really get it done right. Since you've got dark hair, it'll take a couple bleaching sessions to get your hair "white." Probably two or three sessions over the course of a month will get it there. You have to spread the time apart because for dark hair you'll be using a very strong bleach formula (vol 30 or 40) and need to give your scalp time to heal/recover. Eventually, you'll get you're hair "bleach white." At that point you'll have to apply a blue/violet toner to help keep the yellowish and orange color from returning and giving your hair a silver white effect.

If it's not silver/gray enough, you could go with a panic manic type dye that'll turn it a darker silver. But it'll only last about 8-10 washes before it returns to normal.
    aleneeaisha Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2011, 09:48 AM
    I have been trying to achieve silver hair for quite some time, a couple of years in fact... I've been tempted for at least a year to try diluting black hair dye then washing it in and out, and the other day finally plucked up the courage to do it... I tried it on my hair extensions (synthetic with real hair sewn on top of them for volume) and as expected the synthetics washed straight out.. but the real hair went silver/grey.. I then did it on my hair and in turned out fine! No green tint.. no patches... all silver! I would recommend doing a test patch though especially if you are un-experienced with hair (I have a couple years training so I knew vaguely what I was doing) Good luck!
    chacetony Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2012, 10:04 AM
    How did you do this? Which products were used?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gray Hair [ 4 Answers ]

Is it normal for a 19 yr is getting gray hairs?

Gray hair [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a way to get rid of gray hair without all of the chemicals? I do not want it to affect my hairs texture or body.

Gray Hair [ 2 Answers ]

How do I allow my hair to come in gray gracefully? I can't handle the ugly root dilemma!!

How do I let my hair go gray? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 43 years old and have been coloring my hair for 20 years. My hair dresser says that I'm about 90% gray. The maintenance to keep it covered is difficult... having to color about every 3 weeks now. I feel that I would like to let it go gray, but don't know how without looking...

Gray hair too much [ 1 Answers ]

I am 57 years old. I have been completely gray for about five years. My hair was originally very dark brown (almost black) and long. I started getting gray in my 20's, so I spent years coloring my hair. I finally decided to let the gray grow out. Now, that it's completely gray, it seems to be...

View more questions Search