Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brent Winstone Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2008, 11:47 PM
    How do I wire a 4 prong Leviton dryer plug receptacle from fuse box?
    I have a new dryer with a 4 prong plug. My old dryer was wired directly. I have a Leviton (Nema 14-30R) "30A - 125/250V GROG" plug receptacle and a junction box and wish to mount it, however, I don't know if there is a specific order for the wires to be hooked up to the actual box. Wires are Black, White, Red and there is a ground. The plastic plug receptacle has 4 female entries. The one on the left and on the right are straight up and down slats, the top is a half moon and the bottom is in an L shape. What wires go where so when I'm done I can just plug the dryer in? - Thank you.
    barca21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2010, 11:08 AM
    How do I wire a 4 prong Leviton dryer plug receptacle from fuse box?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a new dryer with a 4 prong plug. My old dryer was wired directly. I have a Leviton (Nema 14-30R) "30A - 125/250V GROG" plug receptacle and a junction box and wish to mount it, however, I don't know if there is a specific order for the wires to be hooked up to the actual box. Wires are Black, White, Red and there is a ground. The plastic plug receptacle has 4 female entries. The one on the left and on the right are straight up and down slats, the top is a half moon and the bottom is in an L shape. What wires go where so when I'm done I can just plug the dryer in? - Thank you.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2010, 05:46 PM
    The two "straight up and down slats" are the hot wires... should be red and black, connected to your 30amp dbl pole breaker. The "L" shaped one is your neutral, (white) and the half moon is the equipment ground.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 9, 2010, 05:57 PM

Well I can find a Leviton (14 -30R) 30 A, 125/250 Leviton on the Leviton website. I cannot find any technical description of the term "GROG" though. Can you tell me what that means, please?

Are you sure that you want to connect this to a fuse box. It would take two fuses one on each of the phases brought to your service panel.

You may be forced to update your service to current code level and if you are going to do that, than you might as well go to 200 amp service.

I strongly strongest you contact some licensed electricians and have them do a calculated load study and bid for the 200 amp upgrade.

One of the reasons I suggest this is because if you tie the hot leads to two different fuses, then each fuse has to be on a different phase.

However, the real problem is that if one fuse opens, the other does not. That leaves you exposed to a device that is still hot. Trust me, 120 VAC can and does kill.

When a breaker is used, both breaker handles open and the same time and the line voltages are removed from the circuit.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2010, 06:26 PM
    Good advice Don... I didn't catch the "fuse box" part. I made an assumption it was a breaker panel.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 9, 2010, 07:03 PM

Mo,

I'm wondering if there weren't two different posters, Brent W and Barca21.

Possible?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2010, 04:29 AM

I don't see any issue using a fuse panel, providing a 240 volt two pole fuse pullout block is used.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convert 4 prong dryer plug to 3 [ 2 Answers ]

My wall outlet is a 4 prong I have a pigtail to change my Sears dryer to a 3 prong but not sure how to properly wire it the 4 plug is red, white, black and green the replacent not color coded

Dryer wiring 3 prong -- neutral wire? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi-- I am trying to wire what seems to be a 3-prong dryer into a 4-prong dryer receptacle. If I understand correctly, I need to disconnect the ground from the neutral on the back of the dryer, and hook them up separately to my 4-wire cord -- the ground wire is the added 4th wire. However,...

Changing 4 prong dryer plug to work with 3 prong outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dryer I haven't been able to use. I moved into an older house and bought a wall outlet to match the plug that's on the dryer. The problem is, any way I rewire the outlet with given wires it won't work.

4 prong plug for dryer - new dryer installation [ 3 Answers ]

We are installing a new dryer with a 220 volt 4 prong plug, old dryer had only 3 prongs How is the house wiring attached to new receptacle? cgfryar

220V 3-wire dryer receptacle [ 2 Answers ]

I just moved in and the dryer won't heat. I'm trying to troubleshoot so the first thing I checked is the receptacle it's an old 3-wire. One leg shows ~238V the other shows ~116V is that normal?

View more questions Search