Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetp924 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 08:06 AM
    Bill for emergency ambulance services 5 years ago!
    Hi. On May 23, 2003 I was alone in my car, going straight, driving home form work and was hit by a another driver attempting to make a left turn at an intersection in Brooklyn, NY. At the time I had full coverage on my 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. The jeep was totaled, and I subsequently had to have 8 hours of surgery relating to the accident. An ambulance responded to the area and took me to the emergency room of a hospital for treatment.
    Now today 1-10-08 I received a call from a debt collection service notifying me that they are attempting to collect a debt for ambulance related services totaling $450.00 from May 2003. According to the debt collection company, they mailed a notice of claim to me at my home address on January 3, 2008. My address and telephone numbers have remained the same for over 12 years.
    My question is, shouldn't New York's no fault insurance law have taken care of that bill? Was it the lawyers responsibility to make sure of that? A claim was filed within 30 days of the accident. Is there a statute of limitations for such a claim to be filed against me after 5 years? I never received any notification/letters/bills for ambulance service from anyone since the accident. The legal issues relating to the case were settled over two years ago now.
    Am I still responsible for paying that bill? Can the debt collection company legally come after me, get a judgment against me in court, and affect my credit report? I have been a NY city resident 22 years now.
    Help!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 03:03 PM
    [QUOTE=sweetp924]Hi. On May 23, 2003 I was alone in my car, going straight, driving home form work and was hit by a another driver attempting to make a left turn at an intersection in Brooklyn, NY. At the time I had full coverage on my 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. The jeep was totaled, and I subsequently had to have 8 hours of surgery relating to the accident. An ambulance responded to the area and took me to the emergency room of a hospital for treatment.
    Now today 1-10-08 I received a call from a debt collection service notifying me that they are attempting to collect a debt for ambulance related services totaling $450.00 from May 2003. According to the debt collection company, they mailed a notice of claim to me at my home address on January 3, 2008. My address and telephone numbers have remained the same for over 12 years.
    My question is, shouldn't New York's no fault insurance law have taken care of that bill? Was it the lawyers responsibility to make sure of that? A claim was filed within 30 days of the accident. Is there a statute of limitations for such a claim to be filed against me after 5 years? I never received any notification/letters/bills for ambulance service from anyone since the accident. The legal issues relating to the case were settled over two years ago now.
    Am I still responsible for paying that bill? Can the debt collection company legally come after me, get a judgment against me in court, and affect my credit report? I have been a NY city resident 22 years now.

If it wasn't submitted to your no fault carrier before, I would submit it now; your settlement (and I assume because you have an Attorney you received a settlement) probably states somewhere that you will pay any and all unpaid medical bills out of the settlement. No Fault will only pay what is submitted to them; your Attorney will only follow up on what is submitted to him/her - neither one had any way of knowing this bill existed if you, the patient, didn't know it existed. In NYS the claim itself has to be filed within 30 days - the bills can trickle in (literally) forever.

Again - I would submit it to the No Fault carrier and see what they have to say - do you have a printout of the medical bills they paid? Was it already paid?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hi. I am a 36 years old female and has been seeing a man for 3 years we have been fri [ 8 Answers ]

Hi. I am a 36 years old female and has been seeing a man for 3 years we have been friends since I was 17 and about 3 years ago that grew into something more. He is everything to me my best friend my lover and my partner. There is no one I would like to spend my time with except for him. He is 56...

Phone bill 9 years ago [ 2 Answers ]

Dear Madam/Sir, I once lived in Pennsylvania for several months nine year ago and left USA. I came back to USA five years ago and have been lived in New Jersey since. Last week I received a debt collection letter from a collection company to acclaim that I owed the phone company three hundred...

Years after Bankruptcy, a monthly bill still coming [ 1 Answers ]

About seven or eight years ago, my husband lost his job. After nearly a year of not finding work and unsuccessfully trying to make ends meet, we were forced to file a Chapter Seven. Bankruptcy is not something we are proud of. Up until this time we had pristine credit. And since, have been...

Ambulance bill in collection ( quebec) [ 3 Answers ]

A FRIEND OF MINE WHO IS LIVING IN MONTREAL QUEBEC HAS A VERY VERY GOOD CREDIT( or I WOULD SAY hAd a very very good credit), he went to a bar and had a little too much and fell on the floor , the bar owner called the ambulance. The ambulance came and took him to the hospital and relesed him after...

Ambulance with Paramedic [ 2 Answers ]

I am under process of starting a project on a free ambulance service with paramedical staff. I want to know what staff do I require. It's a non-profit making project service to who cannot effort . Your suggestions welcome.

View more questions Search