Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    confused in mich Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 07:09 AM
    21 year old felony
    Hello, I'm a little confused here. I was convicted of CCW back in 1986. I'm worried about this showing up on background checks that will be done for a couple of jobs I applied for. I went to the Michigan State Police website and ran a background check on myself. Much to my surprise, they came back with nothing - NOTHING!

Can anyone tell me how this happened?

Thanks in advance...
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2008, 07:21 AM
    I guess it depends on how thorough the check is. Did you declare the felony? I would imagine an employer would not weigh it heavily in a decision since it is over 21 years ago.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 09:04 AM
    Hello confused:

You seem to think that any background check is the same as any other background check. THAT just isn't so.

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 12:18 PM
    Some background checks are not very thorough. It would depend on just how much money the company is willing to spend to delve into your past history. As you saw yourself, the Michigan police didn't show anything but they probably have their search engine set at 10 or 15 years tops and didn't go back much further than that. But, say if you were arrested on another felony, then the 21 year old conviction will show up to the prosecutor and may or may not play a part in sentencing you for new felony.
    i8uwithalime Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2008, 12:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by confused in mich
    Hello, I'm a little confused here. I was convicted of CCW back in 1986. I'm worried about this showing up on background checks that will be done for a couple of jobs I applied for. I went to the Michigan State Police website and ran a background check on myself. Much to my surprise, they came back with nothing - NOTHING!

Thanks in advance...
    I have one that is 15 years old and Did obtain a great Government job with Raytheon. But after 911 everything changed for me. My clearance went to homeland security for a new criteria check and I failed. I have great career training and many awards and certs. But am struggling getting another great job. It's all about 911. There really is nothing for us yet that I have found. I even checked about expungement and the law in California is that if you served a year or more in prison the felony is with you for life. But this seems to be my case and all I was charged with was receiving stolen property when I was 24 years old. I do wish you luck!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2008, 01:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by confused in mich

Thanks in advance...

Not all background checks are the same - or even close to the same. How did you get on the Michigan Police Website? Or is this some sort of on line site available to everybody?

And, yes, it could come back to haunt you. I wouldn't lie on job applications (and I know you didn't even suggest that you would) - it's a very long time ago, you're clean since then... but it is floating around somewhere.
    fde Posts: 93, Reputation: -4

Jan 24, 2008, 04:57 PM
    Take your chances What do you have to lose OH I KNOW A JOB TO FEED YOUR FAMILY
    Call the police dept where you where charged can't hurt and you will know for shore won't you.
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2008, 05:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fde
    Call the police dept where you where charged can't hurt and you will know for shore wont you.
    Hello again, fde:

No, he still won't know anything. The cops will not help this guy. Even if they could, they wouldn't. That's not their job. What would possibly make you think they would?

You still don't know anything either. I suppose you just like to see your name in print.

excon

Jan 24, 2008, 05:36 PM
    As Much As You Do excon. Your Still As Mean As Ever.
    The Police Will Help Him It Was 1986. TheY Will Release Records With The Proper Id. Do You Think You Are Not Allowed To See Your Own Record. I Am Not Talking About The Investigation Just Weather He Has A Record.
    excon What I Do Know Is I Am A Better Person Than You. At Least I Write With Feelings The Way You Attacked That Poor Mother Who Is Greiving That Her Son Has An Alcohol Problem That Is Just What She Needed You...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 24, 2008, 05:58 PM
    Actually the police do not have the records of convictions ( that is the court clerks office) The police with a signed release will run a NCIC report.

Now if the crime happened outside of Michigan, then the online site may have done state only. Again some of the online police reports are good, not sure about that one.

And as for as police records, no, 20 year old files will be long sent to a storage facility, they will print off a computer summary if it still exists.

Jan 24, 2008, 06:27 PM
    Can The Courts Give Him That Info?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2008, 09:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fde
    As Much As You Do excon. Your Still As Mean As Ever.
    The Police Will Help Him It Was 1986. TheY Will Release Records With The Proper Id. Do You Think You Are Not Allowed To See Your Own Record. I Am Not Talking About The Investigation Just Weather He Has A Record.
    excon What I Do Know Is I Am A Better Person Than You. At Least I Write With Feelings The Way You Attacked That Poor Mother Who Is Greiving That Her Son Has An Alcohol Problem That Is Just What She Needed You.................................

Well, I DO have to give you this round. You're right - you DO write with feelings. You also write with NO spell check, NO grammar, NO punctuation, NO information (except for your own arrests), NO background in anything legal (again, except for your own arrests), NO conscience (this is the fourth thread in have seen in which you recommend lying), NO common sense and NO (or incorrect) "facts" to say nothing of a greatly inflated sense of your own self worth.

This is not a "feelings" board - this is a legal info board. I don't post on the embalming/funeral director board because that's not my area of expertise. Perhaps you should try to follow my lead. (Yes, I know, you're a well respected pillar in your community.)

Let's go take a look at your profile and see how you're doing in general -
    Expert

Jan 25, 2008, 10:33 AM
    Yes, court records ( unless it is for a minor) are open records, all they have to do is go in to check records.
    mscush Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2008, 01:24 PM
    I was wondering with the experience you have had, can you get a passport with a felony conviction?
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2008, 03:05 PM
    Hello m:

I have a passport. If they give me one, they'll give anybody one.

excon
    Expert

Mar 16, 2008, 04:02 PM
    Ok, the police don't have any "conviction" records, the police have the arrest records which would have been long ago boxed up. What you may get is a one page print out of the police report form the police.

The COURT, where you were convicted has your conviction records and you can review those records by going to the court.

Also many records from 20 years ago, never got put on the computer systems, many did but not all.
    And there are many forms of doing background checks,
    bighelmut Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2008, 07:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by i8uwithalime View Post
    I have one that is 15 years old and Did obtain a great Government job with Raytheon. But after 911 everything changed for me. My clearance went to homeland security for a new criteria check and I failed. I have great career training and many awards and certs. But am struggling getting another great job. It's all about 911. There really is nothing for us yet that I have found. I even checked about expungement and the law in California is that if you served a year or more in prison the felony is with you for life. But this seems to be my case and all I was charged with was receiving stolen property when I was 24 years old. I do wish you luck!
    Yep you said it, 911 made this a different world. I have a twenty three year old felony and it was a biggy. Assault with intent to rob while armed here in MI. The charge is quite different from the story and one would laugh when they heard it. However I served in the military for six years with that. Also held some pretty great jobs until that fateful Sept when we were attacked. Now even garbage companies are asking for stringent background checks. Fair... well I did the crime and some lessons are hard learned so that is that. Expungement is great but as Excel said... FBI and other angencies do not play. I am currently being considered for a job with a major defense contractor and it could go either way. They are aware of it and no clearance is required but they really frown on these things these days. Some things you do stay with you for life. I can not even get an expungement due to crime being punishable by life imprisonment per the law in MI. Good luck to all of those that are in the same boat.
    bighelmut Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2008, 07:57 PM

Sorry... EXCON... not exel. LOL... fingers typing faster than my brain can keep up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is a Court Martial a Felony or Misdemeanor or Felony [ 6 Answers ]

Is a Court Martial a Felony or Misdemeanor or Felony. I see many questions on this topic... please post my input. A summary Court Martial is not a felony conviction period! There is nothing in the military to equate a Court Martial to a felony or misdemeanor conviction. The federal courts look...

Otr trucking with 15 year old felony [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for a job in the trucking industry. Any suggestions on companies that hire with felonies this old?

Full year resident alien part year treaty [ 1 Answers ]

My country has a tax treaty with US. I came on J1 visa in September 2005 and got the benefit of the tax treaty till August 2007. And since September 2007 my taxes are being with held. I am considered as full year resident alien since Januarary 2007. Which tax form I need to fill up and where to...

Calendar Year or Fiscal Year for H1b Visa Holders? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I would be going to the US on an H1B, accompanied with my wife and two kids (all on H4). Tax experts could you please answer the following doubts of mine: 1. For individuals on H1B, the only selection of tax year is a calendar tax year, right? 2. If I reach US somewhere on Oct 1 2007, I...

6-year Indian Student, 1040EZ but claiming social security taxes from 5th year. [ 3 Answers ]

I've been in the States since 2001 (F-1 undergrad, then 1 year of F-1 OPT, and now with a new F-1 for grad school), 6 years so far and all at the same university in NYC. This will be my first year filing the 1040EZ, and I have a few Q's... Four questions: * Is the 1040EZ form the...

View more questions Search