Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    syncrystal_84 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 01:45 AM
    Should I have a Custom-made dress?
    I was able to find a reputable and quality dressmaker nearby where I live who I am considering on going to to make my wedding dress. I already have made sketches of what I want my dress to look like, the color, the fabrics, etc. What I want isn't in stores and I've already looked and just leave each time disheartened and disappointed. The dress I want is rather simple, and really the only thing that would make it look complicated is overlay fabric which I intend on having it already embroidered somewhat.

It seems that a lot of my family members and friends are very much against this idea and insist that I continue looking for a dress in the stores, even though NOTHING has fit me correctly! And I will not wear a strapless dress (95% of the dresses out there are strapless) and the design I have in mind is very tailored to me.

But everyone tells me that the cost in having a dressmaker do it will end up being the same as buying a dress and making alterations to it, and a dressmaker can't be trusted the way getting it from a store can be (even though this dressmaker has been recommended by theknot.com and the state's bridal association).

I'm getting discouraged and am rethinking my idea. But I hate thinking of wearing a dress in the style, color, and fit that I don't want exactly. I'm not really a freak about this wedding stuff, everything is rather simple and subdued, but the dress (which I will be wearing for probably 12 hours and getting tons of pictures taken in it) is something that's very important to me. What should I do?
    starfirefly Posts: 397, Reputation: 33

Jan 10, 2008, 01:48 AM
    Its your wedding you should have everything you want and no one knows what you want better than you.. I think u should get it made for you.. and when everyone sees how beautiful it turned out than you can rub it in their faces... and not to mention it will be a one of a kind dress too so that will make it all the more special
    brown_eyes_3546 Posts: 103, Reputation: 5

Jan 10, 2008, 01:51 AM
    Who wedding is this? Who has to wear the dress? Who has to pay for it? Why do you care what anyone else has to say about it? It is your night your pictures and YOUR wedding.

Go have your dress made to custom fit you if that is what you really want. I had a prom dress made one year because I knew what I wanted and couldn't find it. I ended up not even going to prom that year but it was my money my prom and my dress. It is the same for you. You deserve to have w.e you want on your wedding night now matter what anyone else thinks about it. And if they are really against your dress make them where plum purple tutus as bridesmaid dresses! I bet they'll get off your back about what you want to wear and focus on getting out of wearing the tutus!
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Jan 10, 2008, 11:30 PM
    Dress making is an art and wedding dresses tend to be very structured and are very noticed, so they need to be sewn impeccably. I would look at several things made by this dress maker and also ask to see photographs, which will give you an idea of how well they fit the dresses to the women who wear them.

Wedding dresses are costly, and if you feel comfortable with a dress maker, by all means have the dress of your dreams made for you. Insist that it is done well before the wedding - like 6 weeks, and have final alternations done a little closer to the wedding. That way, if it is aweful, you have the option of having it fixed or replacing it.

If the dressmaker is skilled though, you will probbly be happy with it.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2008, 09:47 AM
    I say go for it. A friend of mine designed her wedding dress and found a seamstress to make it; she was thrilled with it. She said it made her feel even more special because it was made just for her and no one else would ever have the same dress.

My only advice would be to talk to several dressmakers, and ask for references. If you can call other brides and (ideally) see their dress or their pictures, it will give you a better indication of the quality of the work.

It's your wedding, you should feel special in your gown and shouldn't have to settle!
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2008, 09:57 AM
    Honey, its YOUR wedding! Make it perfect for YOU!
    SunShineBabe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2011, 09:40 PM
    I know one that's really impress me... The dressmaker lives in Thailand
    U send her the pics and your measurments and she will do it all
    Just wait
    Go to here www.wassanar.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custom made clothing [ 7 Answers ]

I have found several websites where you submit your measurements and you can choose pretty much every aspect of the shirt or suit that you want such as color, color of cuffs, color of collars, number of buttons, type of buttons, patterns, etc... They send the measurements off to South-East Asia...

Rare 80's children's Movie (or made for TV movie) made with puppets [ 12 Answers ]

I'm trying to find a movie (or TV movie) that I enjoyed as a child. It aired sometime during the early 80's. I remember it taking place in a cave with some green creatures (goblins?). The king was making a wish and they started in a song and dance about how the king would be making this wish...

Custom Dictionary Not Available [ 1 Answers ]

I keep getting an error message every time I open MS Word 2003: Custom dictionary in File Name is not available. I have checked my setup and everything is as it should be. The dictionary is there, it is enabled. I made changes to normal.dot a few days ago, but nothing that has to do with...

An American custom? [ 7 Answers ]

Why do the Americans wash their teeth before breakfast? Well, I've seen it in many films. I brush my teeth after each meal...

IE bar - Custom [ 7 Answers ]

An acquaintance showed me how to add my own words to the blue IE bar at the top of the screen. I now want to get rid of them (my own words) and don't remember where I was told to go to change this. Please help!

View more questions Search