Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MLB33 Posts: 89, Reputation: 6

Jan 9, 2008, 10:21 AM
    She left me hanging.
    Multiple threads merged

Ok, never done this before but here it goes. Me and my g/f broke up 3 days ago. We had been dating for about 2 1/2 years and I know she loves me. Oh, and we are both 25. She said she had "never really been single." Also that she had "no desire at all to be with anyone else in any way." And lastly that "she loved me and hoped we would work out in the future." What is that? I mean, why would you want to string somebody along like that? I have seen this coming for about the last month or so because I have been nothing but perfect for her and she has been really distant. And, I know that this was going to have to happen if there was ever a chance for her to realize anything. She has started a new job about 5 months ago and has this new big group of friends. SHe says that she just wants to feel like she can go do something and not have to worry about calling me or making me mad or whatever. Every time I want to talk about the situationg or ask her about why she was acting so distant, she just got frustrated with. Funny thing is... heres the kicker, about a year ago I felt the same way she does now and broke up with her for about a month. It took that for me to realize how much I really needed her. It amazing, how much we mirror each other. Before she was the one doing all those nice things and stuff and I was getting frustrated with her. But, with all that said, I know she does love me. Maybe I'm just being optimistic I don't know. Also, there is this guy, who she works with, who recently just split up with his wife. She hung out with him a lot, along with the rest of the group. And when we broke up she told me she knew she was being unfair to me and that she knew she couldn't do those certain things without me there if we were dating. But, she swore that she wasn't breaking up with me for that guy and she messed up never letting me meet him. Its just a mess right now, I'm not real sure what to do. I have this feeling, that it will work out between us. I truly think it will. I just don't know if I'm suppose to call her in a week, or a month, or not call at all. If or when I do I know I'm not going to pour my heart out or anything, she knows how I feel, but do I just act tough, like I'm fine without her? Because she did tell me to call or email her. It just doesn't make a lot of sense and I'll explain more as the responses come in. Thanks.
    DMBacoustic Posts: 65, Reputation: 15

Jan 9, 2008, 10:28 AM
    why would you ever go out of your way to call or contact somebody after they break up with you. You said it yourself she's stringing you along. I Went through all of this two months ago. She got a new job, met new people through friends, acted distant. I could too tell it was coming, but I was ignorant and did nothing about it. At a certain point you have to realize what you deserve and not only value but stand up for yourself. Maybe once she sees you can live without her she'll realize what she's missing. But by then you'll be long gone if you know what's good for yourself because you deserve better.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2008, 10:30 AM
    Haven't even read the post yet... will do in a little bit. However, by the title of it... read the two stickies in the relationship forum.

Remember. "i need space", "i need time", "I want to be single for a little bit", "i hope we work out later", "let's still be friends" yadda... yadda... are... all... bs.

It's the typical female response for "we're breaking up. i don't want to hurt you. sorry"

Might as well be the new "i can't go out...i need to wash my hair"
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2008, 10:36 AM
    It is my belief that if you are confused about her, or have a sick feeling in your stomach about where your relationship is, then she is not right for you romantically and for the long term. So she said, '"she loved me and hoped we would work out in the future."'? To me, that means NC - No Contact. See the 'stickies' at the beginning of this topic, "Relationships".

Jan 9, 2008, 11:16 AM
    I know what you are saying. I really do. Its just incredibly hard to see this stuff when you are actually in the situation. And, I know you know that. I honest to God, know she loves me. I did this same thing to her. I'm not saying that this is any kind of revenge. However, when I called her after I broke up with her because I realized all that stuff about needing her, she didn't seem like cared. It was then, that I thought I had really messed up and it hit me like a sack of bricks. I don't know if I'm hoping that will happen to her... I know I'm hoping that will happen with her, but is it just me hoping because I really think she will come around. Just because I know her in and out I guess. Like I said, this was going to have to happen for us to be right because she was frustrated and I was being pathetic. Which is totally unlike me, I'm one of those who never needs anybody and I'll be fine, just let me do my own thing blah blah blah. You know, didn't ever want to talk about marriage, but as soon as soon as I start acting like a boyfriend this crap starts to happen. So, no contact at all nomatter what or in a couple weeks send her something that says... I don't know "I saw this movie and it made me think to ask how you were doing." OR... If she contacts me how do I act, if when she does, I still want to be with her.

Jan 9, 2008, 11:38 AM
    I think you're setting yourself up to get crushed if things don't go 100% right. All this hoping is not healthy. You And trust us we know what it feels like. But just try to picture your position onto somebody else, it helps you to realize how wrong it is to treat yourself like this.
    TrueFaith Posts: 1,202, Reputation: 313
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2008, 01:18 PM
    Don't be strung along my friend its hard I know and you don't want to let go. But think of it this way. You'll never get on with your life. If you hang onto hers.

She isn't worth it. Let her have her fun and you have yours

:)
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 9, 2008, 09:52 PM
    Join the I got dumped group. Most females at that age grow, and wonder, and most times when they say they want to be single its over. That simple. Every guy who comes here says the same thing, they want her back. I tell them the exact thing I'm telling you now. Do not contact her at all, for any reason, and move on with you life. I also have links to the stickies, on this forum, (saves a lot of typing) in my signature, read them and tell us if it fits your situation.
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2008, 10:06 PM
    Hi MLB33
    Look she has made her choice and she has been thinking about it for a while , we don't just wake up one morning and think "I don't want to be with this person anymore" You don't leave somebody you still Love and still want to be with , would you. It sucks I know but hey welcome to the world of broken hearts , not easy but as you read through the various posts on here you will realise you are not alone.

Give her space and go no contact , that way she will know you are not just hanging on like a little puppy. If she rings don't answer , show her you are strong even though you want to speak to her. Don't let her dictate when and where contact is established , that will just make it easier for her and harder for you.
    By going NC she may just miss you and if its meant to be she will come running back. If not then you will keep your dignity and be able to start healing a lot faster.
    MissingHim2Much Posts: 252, Reputation: 37

Jan 9, 2008, 11:18 PM
    She left me hanging is a good title for your post MLB33... Its funny how that's exactly how we feel. Like were left hanging in mid-air not knowing what's up or down.

Listen hon, I'm about to hit the 6th month mark here and I have made lots of progress. Mainly due to the good people on this forum and because of No Contact...

It would be nice to have a crystal ball sometimes.. At least we'd know what the hell to do. But we don't and N/C is about the only thing we do have. 1. Of course to give them the so called space they need 2. Sanity.. As hard as n/c is I think the yo-yo ing of contact and hearing things about their new lives is very hard on our sanity 3. N/C does help us heal, very slowly but it does help. 4. Dignity, He has his new life although I hear it's a screwed up mess.. LOL I at least have my dignity and the comfort in knowing he has to wonder what's going on in my life. I may be dating, I may be living with someone. Must drive him crazy... I for one hope it does... hehehe
    rowansnow Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2008, 11:32 PM
    You should consider dating other people. If the two of you are really in love and have that one in a million special connection then there should be no problem with you meeting and dating other girls. It could even be fun for you and you could learn some new things about yourself. Of course, you don't have to enter a serious relationship or have sex with the other women or even commit to them, as long as you are honest and up front with them. (Don't tell them that you are just filling your time while you're waiting for your ex-gf to get her head on straight, though).

Jan 10, 2008, 09:39 AM
    Its just hard to get past. Like yesterday, I saw her in a parking lot walking out of her car and she kind of slowed down and waived and I just turned my head back around and kept driving. What was I suppose to do? I want to run over and hug her you know? But the NC thing is best I think. That way if it does work I'll know it was for the right reasons not because I talked her into it. But there is a part of me that just wants to call her and say OK "is it over over or what?" But I'm sure she will say she can't tell me that for sure. This is ridiculous. I've never been like this before I'm always the one that has better stuff to do then worry. SUcks from this side. Should I cAll and say that or, mabye after a couple weeks or what
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2008, 09:45 AM
    You sure are asking a lot of questions. You wrote: "Should I cAll and say that or, mabye after a couple weeks or what?" NC is something you do, not just think about, or use to punish her, or use to get her back. As I read some of these posts about what the dumper is doing to you and others, and consider how I got dumped, I just ask: Why on earth would you want to go back for more of that? Try to quit blaming yourself and thinking about the things you could have done, etc. etc. That is a never-ending cycle of depression. Now, if I can only quit talking to myself...

Jan 10, 2008, 03:14 PM
    I know Im asking a lot Im just hurting. BUT, I do know from reading these posts that NC is the best way to go because it is a win win situation. Maybe right now it sure as hell doesn't seem like it but I know that it is. I responded in another post that (yeah I know, another question sorry) can it be true that a girl can really still love you and just need time to figure out whatever she needs to. Whether its stay broken up or realize she needs that person. Or... is that not possible. From reading these you probably know that I said I broke up with her about a year ago because I was feeling smothered. But I did still love her, I know I did, but I always thought she would be there nomatter what. When I found out how mad she was it scared me to death

Jan 10, 2008, 03:19 PM
    About a month ago I asked the same question across like 6 different websites, because I wanted to believe to. Do you really even want someone who needs to "realize" they love you. And if she feels smothered that's one thing, but its out of nowhere when things are fine she's like we need a break. Chances are she's thought about it for a while. I don't think love is something you can one day figure out and realize oh wow I love this person. When you have it you'll know it and if you don't, chacnes are it just won't show up. Treat yourself right, and statrt moving on.

Jan 10, 2008, 03:26 PM
    Yeah I know what you mean, but I saw it coming. Its like she starting losing interest or something I don't know. RED FLAG I know. But she just had this new group of friends and I guess since we were always together she felt obligated to be with me, even if she wanted to be out with them sometimes. Or felt guilty for not being with me. I'm not trying to justify what she did Im just saying it wasn't out of nowhere.

Jan 10, 2008, 09:48 PM
    Lets just say she does call.
    If its not completely obvious, this is the only place I talk about this so I'm sorry to everybody if it seems a little over the top. I've always been one of those guys that keeps everything in and shows nothing but anyway... I've been on NC for 4 days now. Lets just say my ex does call or show up at my door. What then? B/c of now, I do want her back but I totally understand we have to take it ridiculously slow yada yada. Just trying to ask an honest question. I mean, I know not to say "Oh God, I love you so much I knew you would come back," but really, what do I say or how do I act if I do want to work it out? B/c I don't want to act hard and like a big rock. But at the same time I don't want to pour my heart out either. Good grief, Im beating this into the ground... How do I show her I still love her without over doing it? There haha. Thanks
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2008, 06:30 AM
    For some reason, I feel a connection between the two of us.. In a non-gay way of course. We both are wishing like hell our ex's come back into our lives. I have been no contact for now my 5th day and it's burning! And it seems no matter what time of day I turn on the TV that damn Garth Brooks song "More than a memory" is on. Her friend did come up and talk to me, and keep in mind, I played it completely cool. Making sure to tell her that I completed my first jealous course and going into my second one. Then asked well what about Brianna(my ex) and I said, I'm giving up on that one, she said she didn't want to be with me again. So I'm giving her the space she wanted and that I wish her well and that she is happy. (being very polite) and her friend's response "You never know, the future could be different" I'm like you do know, you're her best friend ha ha... But as for advice if she does call, don't immediately pick up the phone, makes you seem available. Wait a bit and call her back and just say "you were busy" and if she shows up at your door wanting to talk.. Let her talk and agree with what she says. Don't seem like you are all heartbroken over her, say "It sucks we had to break up to realize everything and that you wish things were different but can't change the past"
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 11, 2008, 08:54 AM
    How do I show her I still love her without over doing it? There haha. Thanks
    Just listen and pay attention. Don't commit to anything, and if she doesn't commit, its over, and you can be friends later, much later. Then you go about your business, and get refocused on you. Guys that just break up, ask this what if question a lot. The feelings are still fresh, and intense, and you HOPE this happens, and it gets you to wondering. I understand, but warn you to stay focused.

Jan 11, 2008, 12:18 PM
    I am trying. Believe me, I won't call or pick up first ring if she calls or anything along those lines. I do however, don't want her to think I don't love her anymore you know? B/c then she might think that I had moved on and just lose hope. Hell I don't know. I know I sound retarded but I hope you know what I mean.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Left groin & down the left leg pain, Hysterectomy didn't work [ 6 Answers ]

I had fibroids and cysts in my left ovaries. Since I had severe pain in the lower left stomach, groin and all the way down on my left leg. The pain is only prominent when I lie down. I am fine during the day, but when I lie down the pain is intense. It looks like one nerve or something. The Doctor...

Hanging a ceiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

How do I hang a ceiling fan from a cathederal ceiling?

Windows XP Pro Hanging up [ 2 Answers ]

I am having a problem with Windows hanging up at the shutdown screen after it has saved settings and is in the "Shutting Down" mode. Additionally the system seems to not want to start some programs when I launch them or freezes while they are loading or running. It is not consistent as to which...

Hanging drywall [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to hang drywall over wallpaper using only a liquid drywall adhesive. the studs are difficult to locate in our concrete/plaster mix as some walls are more than 3 inches thick. Thank you, hafanhaf

View more questions Search