Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aguilar64 Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2008, 05:59 PM
    I need to catch wild kittens
    Any suggestions... I have tried warming up to them but they seem to run away after I get to close... so I need some suggestions
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 8, 2008, 06:01 PM
    Why do you need to catch them?

In case it's none of my business, have you tried a Have-a-Heart trap/cage?

Jan 8, 2008, 06:03 PM
    They are for my girlfriend... and no what is that
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 8, 2008, 06:09 PM
    It's a gentle means of trapping live critters:
    Have-A-Heart Traps | Havahart Animal Traps | Live Animal Trapping
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2008, 06:29 PM
    What does your girlfriend want with wild kittens? I do agree with Rich on the gentle trap. Have used to trap unwanted critters and there is no harm done to the animal.
    HSK Posts: 45, Reputation: 9

Jan 9, 2008, 01:40 PM
    A humane trap is the best and most often only way to catch feral/wild cats and kittens.
    Make sure you use smelly food like canned cat wet food or tuna, and if you cover the
    Trap with a blanket or towel to make the cage look more like a cave or cubby. If you
    Leave it uncovered, they are less likely to go into it.
    You might not be able to tame them, but you could always do a trap, neuter, and release
    Program with a low cost vet or animal shelter. If that is the case, you need to provide them with shelter, and food and water daily. Alley Cat Allies has a great site with lots of information on taking care of feral cats. Good luck, and remember to get them fixed even if you are not going to keep them. They will inbreed and just keep making new feral kittens.

Link to alley cat allies Alley Cat Allies
    HSK Posts: 45, Reputation: 9

Jan 9, 2008, 01:43 PM
    The other thing to remember is, if you want to tame them, please take your time. They will tear you up if you try to handle them right out of the trap. Cat bites are nasty. I was
    In the hospital for 5 days on IV antibiotics due to a cat bite in the hand this past August.
    Please go to Alley Cat Allies and read up before you proceed in order to create as little stress as possible for both you and your feral kittens.

Good Luck!
    Annalise12 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2008, 09:32 PM
    If you really want to catch them you should let them come to you if not leave a bit of food out and watch them I have a park where I live and I go looking for kittens there and I found 4 dead kittens in the bin it was so sad

Jan 15, 2008, 09:56 PM
    Do you live in Lufkin tx

Jan 15, 2008, 09:57 PM
    Oh she needs some kittens because she works at a barn an they need some cats to hunt down the pest
    Annalise12 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2008, 12:02 AM
    Oh sorry I'm from Australia I hope u find some cats bye
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2008, 07:00 AM
    Aguilar, HSK has given you some very useful advice. Do you have a local animal control or shelter? They will usually rent out traps to people, or if your girlfriend can assure them that they will have be given food, shelter, water, and the proper medical care, they might trap the kittens for your girlfriend and help her with the medical costs if she can't afford it. As HSK states, those kittens need to be spayed/neutered so they will not keep reproducing. They also need a proper medical assessment/treatment prior to being rehomed in the barn. They may be full of worms, parasites, and fleas. If she is working around other animals, they need to be vetted.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2008, 07:47 AM
    If she will contact a feral spay & neuter release program... they would be more than happy to trap them and neuter them for free. There would be guidleines to follow, but I would think it would be a win, win situation.
    I hope the barn group remembers even if they are feral, food and water and some medical attention still need to be provided to make their lives easier.
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Jan 16, 2008, 09:23 PM
    You usually can pick up a humane trap at Lowe's. The raccoon size works well for cats. Practice setting it, it takes a little bit to get the hang of it, but they are not hard. While you are making arrangements for getting the kittens to the vet for shots and spay/neuter, it may help to get the kittens used to eating in the trap before you actually set it. Just tie the trap door up so it won't fall down and start feeding them in there. They should lose their fear of the trap so when it is actually set you may luck out and get both of them at once!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wild kittens. [ 8 Answers ]

Last year(if you have read the post) I had 2 wild kittens in my yard, I managed to tame, and find home for the others,again I have wild kittens these ones look about the same age the other 2 and it is around the same time I saw the other ones last year. I don't no if I should trap and tame these...

Shy but wants to be wild [ 11 Answers ]

Ok here's the thing! Me and my boyfriend have just started having sex, he was my first. I am a naturally kinky person (my mind runs wild and there is so much I want to do) and I know he would probably like something other then missionary style, I know he would like me on top! The thing is I'm shy!...

Wild kittens [ 1 Answers ]

I just trapped two wild kittens and I have no idea to do but I can't leave them because winter is coming nad they are not friendly at all and I no if I take them to the shelter they will be put down what can I do to calm them down?:confused:

Wild roses [ 1 Answers ]

How should I prune wild rose bushes that weren't pruned in the fall? It is now spring.

Wild Tangent [ 4 Answers ]

I recently ran SPYBOT and it picked up 3 suspect problems - FAST CLICK - DSO EXPLOIT and WILD TANGENT. Spybot seemed to deal with the first two satisfactorily but on boot up I keep getting a message telling me that Wild Tangent cannot be located and gives the full C\Program\Wild...

View more questions Search