Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thale4314 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2008, 03:40 PM
    Laminate floor tongue and grooves do not snap together
    I am laying glueless laminate flooring in my den on top of polyethylene sheeting as a vapor barrier. I was doing well with the project until I tried to get the tongue and groove to snap together. I have been able to get the planks connected but I do not feel or hear the snap that should occur when the tongue and groove come together correctly. Without them snapping together to create a firm grip, they eventually come loose as I work on the far end of the row. I was able to get the first two boards in row 1 and 2 to snap together because since they are the first to go down, I could actually lift them to create enough space to have them snap. However, on all other connections, I push the boards down against the floor and they will come together but they do not snap together. I am not doing something right. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 8, 2008, 04:30 PM
    Some snap fit boards are not as forgiving as other brands. Once you get the tongue into the groove you can't just push the second board down to flat. You need to maintain a pulling force on the two boards as your start to lower the new board down. Check all of your edges for debris and small nicks, they can stop a good snap. I know the manufacturer directions are a pain to read but re-read them anyway.
    schwim Posts: 132, Reputation: 22

Jan 8, 2008, 07:28 PM
    Hey there thale,

Some laminates can make you want to cry with the way they assemble. Ballengerb1 is right, live the directions; love the directions.

Then take a couple of pieces and play with them. Very few laminates will snap together by direct force. Most have a single barb on the tongue, and it requires rolling the new piece into the field that has already been laid down.

Once you've run your first row, usually the next piece will require that you lift the previoius row off the floor, roll the new piece into it and actually bend it past flat. Once you do that, with a lot of brands, you'll hear that click that you're working so hard for.

Once you've done that, then you tap the new piece along the fastened edge until the butt joint comes together.

All laminate floors are a pain until you get the hang of that particular system. By the time you make it to the third row, you'll be flying (comparitively speaking :) ).

Thanks,
    Json
    kbuchholtz Posts: 110, Reputation: 2

Jan 9, 2008, 07:13 PM
    I had the same problem laying a Pergo floor. The first few snapped in easy, but got tougher as I went along. I watched a video online about installing the floors and one manufacturer video (started with a W, forgot the company) suggested lightly tapping the edge with the tapping block and a hammer, stressing lightly. This helped when I had a problem getting boards to snap together. Floors look great.

Is your sub floor level? I found I had the harder time getting boards to snap in at the points where my floor was a bit off.

Just my experience.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laminate floor [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone knew the best way to clean a laminate floor... I have a mohawk and it is horrible to keep clean... there is always foot prints and just cleaning it doesn't really come clean I tried a bunch of different cleaners and they all work the same so I was wondering if anyone knew...

Laminate floor help [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am new here but have a terrible problem with a laminate floor we laid about 18 months ago. We laid the floor on top of a well kept, still stuck, vinyl floor. Then the underlayment and then the laminate floor. This is in the kitchen Now here is my problem- in front of the sink,...

Laminate floor thickness? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm planning on installing laminate flooring on the second floor of my house. What laminate floor thickness should I be looking for? There's tons of deals on 7mm thick laminate, but I've been advised to buy 8mm and up only.

Laminate floor [ 1 Answers ]

I'm installing a pergo product over a vinyl kitchen floor, do I need to remove the vinyl to the wood sub-floor? Or can I install right on to the vinyl? Also do I have to use an underlayment since the kitchen is over the basement, no sound or moisture issues? I have been advised by both ways on this...

View more questions Search