Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Savannah65 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2008, 12:18 PM
    Drug Test
    I was taking Cymbalta 20MG and Xanax 1MG for about a year, to help me deal with the death of my brother. I stop taking my medicines several days ago, because they really weren't helping with my depression. My body hurts from head to toe. I feel week and numb. I started shaking last night, so I took a muscle relaxer and 0.5MG of Xanax this morning. Are there any alternative medicine to help me through this transition? I have an interview on Friday and they might do a drug test.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 8, 2008, 12:22 PM
    The drug test is nothing to worry about, as you have a prescription for these meds. So, put that in the back of your mind, okay.

Now, you should never just stop taking these meds without advice from your doctor... usually you would be required to taper down than to quit cold turkey. Quitting like this will only cause withdrawals, and that seems to be what you are going through.

Sometimes stopping meds completely without tapering can be extremely dangerous. Please contact your doctor for the proper tapering dosage.

I am so sorry about your loss, the loss of a loved one can be devastating.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2008, 04:09 PM
    Make sure you tell them you are on those meds. Even take the script/bottle with you.
    They can't say anything about prescribed meds in your system as long as your doc prescribed them and you tell them.

Tell your doc that these meds are not doing you any good and he should be able to prescribe some other ones instead.
    margar Posts: 63, Reputation: 4

Jan 11, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Savannah65
    I was taking Cymbalta 20MG and Xanax 1MG for about a year, to help me deal with the death of my brother. I stop taking my medicines several days ago, because they really weren't helping with my depression. My body hurts from head to toe. I feel week and numb. I started shaking last night, so I took a muscle relaxer and 0.5MG of Xanax this morning. Are there any alternative medicine to help me through this transition? I have an interview on Friday and they might do a drug test.
    Never, never, never stop taking psychotropic medications cold turkey. These medications must be tapered off. My daughter was on effexor,one day she decided she didn't need it anymore. Then, she started having anxiety attacks. That has been 2 years ago and it has been a long battle back, still isn't quit right. She is fighting, but it hasn't been good. I suggest you go back to taking the dosage you were prescribed , take it for a week or ten days. Then start cutting back on the doses to wean yourself off it. It may be you will have to stay on the xanax for a while longer than the cymbalta.. best bet, see your physician. I don't understand why they can't tell their patients about the medications they prescribe. Any one else out there on psychotropic meds... don't stop all at once. They are mind altering meds so it messes up your head if you do.
    interinfinity Posts: 142, Reputation: 8

Jan 11, 2008, 05:23 PM
    Benzos only stay in your system 3 days
    jmiles Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2008, 05:39 PM
    Don't worry about a drug test if you have prescriptions... you should never quit taking meds cold turkey cause your body will go through withdraws.. you have to wein yourself off... you will get better in time...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drug Test [ 5 Answers ]

I have been on lortab for a long time. I had to take a drug test at work this past week due to a narcotic missing. I have a current presicription, and it came back positive. What well happen to me, if I have the current prescription

After a drug test [ 2 Answers ]

My son had a drug test, but my question is has anyone had a doctor's office call you about it, and if so why would they do that?

Drug Test? [ 2 Answers ]

I take a diet pill called lipodrene. Will that show up on a drug test?

Drug test. [ 15 Answers ]

Hello everyone! I am wondering if someone can answer me this question: I am going for an interview at a gym called Bally Total Fitness. If I get this job will I def need a drug test? I know every place is different but do they usually always test you at gyms and stuff? The last time I smoke...

Drug test [ 3 Answers ]

If an emergency room doe's a drug test can they turn it over to your regular doctor without asking?

View more questions Search