Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    csussa Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2008, 01:32 PM
    Why does hamster prefer plastic then wood?
    Ive got a lot of gnawing toys for my hamster Joey. . And he doesn't gnaw them he enjoys gnawing the plastic bit in his cage and no marks what so ever on the wooden toys.. why is this?

Also he's started gnawing his food bowl its like I wake up at like 1 in the morning and he's sitting on the edge of his food bowl and has made MASSIVE marks in it and same with his water bottle on the end were they drink it why is he doing this?

Please please please reply quickly
    teghancat Posts: 24, Reputation: -1

Mar 17, 2008, 05:21 PM
    My hamster does this to... except she loves chewing on the bars of her cage. I bought her fruit flavored wood chews and she has made slow progress in them. Maybe that's just what he likes.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 05:27 PM
    I've never owned a hamster that enjoyed chewing on wood. You might want to try the salt licks, they can chew on those and the salt is good for digestion. Also, plastic dog bones, the small ones are okay for hammies.

Remember, hamsters teeth are constantly growing, they need to chew in order to file their teeth, otherwise you will have to trim their teeth (believe me it isn't fun) or they will not be able to eat and will die.

My third hamster looked exactly like yours, she was my favorite, such a snuggle bunny, a real sweetie. Enjoy your hammy and go to a larger pet store that might have a bigger supply of chew toys for hammies, also hammies don't care about the color, that's just us humans, so don't buy something because it looks nice, hammy doesn't care.

Good luck.
    csussa Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2008, 09:13 AM
    Yer ino I have a mineral stone LOTS or wood toys but recently I just got him a new cage and now he bites on the bars!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Do wood boring beetles leave round damaged holes in your attic wood beams? [ 1 Answers ]

I have infestations of various insects in my all wood frame house. I'm trying to figure the different types of damaged wood. I'm familiar with the drywood and subterranean termite wood damage but not the actual wood damage of beetles. Do you have any home remedies for any of the above?

Do wood boring beetles leave round damaged holes in your attic wood beams? [ 0 Answers ]

I have infestations of various insects in my all wood frame house. I'm trying to figure the different types of damaged wood. I'm familiar with the drywood and subterranean termite wood damage but not the actual wood damage of beetles. Do you have any home remedies for any of the above?

How to install wood fencing panels using existing wood fence posts [ 1 Answers ]

Posts are set at same distance required for panels

Can clear plastic protect wood from sun [ 1 Answers ]

If a table sits in the direct sun, will a clear piece of plastic protect it or magniiy the sun?

Hi how do I remove wood adhesive from wood cabinetry [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, how do I remove wood adhesive from wood cabinetry. The gentleman who installed the cabinets inadvertently rubbed the glue on the cabinet itself... it looks awful.. thanks

View more questions Search