Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paintballchic Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Jan 3, 2008, 08:37 PM
    Dog pregnant?
    What is tuck-up and what is a vulva? I need to know fast I think my dog is pregnant!!

Jan 3, 2008, 09:17 PM
    I mean that what is loss of tuck-up in a dog and where exactly is the vulva located on the dog, I am clueless

Jan 3, 2008, 09:22 PM
    Is my dog pregnant?
    What are indicators that my dog is pregnant? It has already been about 3 or 4 weeks since her boyfriend got to her. How do I know?:confused:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2008, 04:20 AM
    The best way to tell is a dog is pregnant is to have a vet examine it after about a month, perhaps longer for smaller breeds. An experienced person can feel the puppies by then. X-rays or ultra sound are even more reliable.

The vulva is the female genital part that hangs down between the legs. Tuck up is where a lean dog curves upwards behind the chest. In a pregnant dog, there is less tuck up and the vulva is swollen. The same happens in a false pregnancy.
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Jan 4, 2008, 06:22 AM
    I am not sure of your situation, but it seems clear you did not plan to breed your dog. I am assuming this since you obviously haven't done any research or preparation for this. If this is the case I wanted to let you know that it is possible to end the pregnancy and have you dog "fixed" at the same time. There are so many unwanted dogs in the world.
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2008, 07:04 AM
    While I agree the dog world would be better off if that was done, I am afraid many vets won't touch the job.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2008, 07:41 AM
    You need to take your dog to the vet and ask for an x-ray.

I rescued a dog, and you can see my posts on here when I thought she was pregnant.
    She started gaining weight and when I put her on the scale, she had gained 11 lbs in 2 weeks. Her teats (nipples) had enlarged as well. I took her to the vet and they felt her stomach and said they could feel any puppies but would do an x-ray. They x-ray showed she was pregnant.

I agree with labman as far as not many places wanting to try and spay to abort the litter. Shelters definitely won't do it because it is considered "high risk". My vet had offered to do it, but upon seeing the x-ray, and seeing how far along my dog was I didn't want to risk her life to spay and abort the litter.

You need to take the dog to the vet to be sure.

Jan 5, 2008, 09:44 AM
    Thanks for the feedback plus I don't plan on getting her spayed I already have nice homes for the puppy my whole family loves dogs specially chi's
    -thanks
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2008, 05:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paintballchic
    thanks for the feedback plus i dont plan on getting her spayed i already have nice homes for the puppy my whole family loves dogs specially chi's
    You don't know the first thing about breeding dogs, based on your questions, so I am sure that you are not carefully screening your breeding stock for potential problems. Chihuahuas have some breed-specific issues that need to be considered when breeding. In addition, even in healthy dogs, things can go wrong with labor, resulting in the death of the puppies or the mother dog. And, if you keep your female intact, but not bred, you run the risk of pyometra, which can also kill your dog. And finally... take a look at the number of chi's in the shelters already, and ask yourself if you really want to add to those numbers.

And finally... you are aware that there is likely to be more than one puppy, possibly as many as four?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2008, 05:45 PM
    Yes, froggy and don't forget breast cancer and uterine cancer. Also small dogs run a greater risk at having hard deliveries.
    When being placed in homes... children are an issue as they can harm small dogs+many saythat chi's are very nervous and can be snappy around little ones. I know quite a few chi's that are one or both with children. My chi mix & my 2 neighbors chi's are very nervous around small children.
    Many things need to be taken into consideration when allowing a dog to have puppies, much of which I have no experience with. But the op would serve herself and her dog well if she would learn as much as possible before going down this path.
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2008, 07:00 PM
    Check www.petfinders.org for Chihuahuas in your area. Read some of the material at Articles Honestly ask if you can meet those standards. We slaughter millions of dogs a year for lack of homes because too many people that lack the knowledge and motivation to it right breed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

4 weeks pregnant confirmed but not feeling pregnant [ 22 Answers ]

I'm 4 weeks pregnant started bleeding yesterday but it stopping now the problem is I'm not feeling any symptoms but then again I'm only 4 weeks are they to start around 10 weeks before my mood was at a high like I've never fely before my appetite has gone over the last few days but that might be...

Pregnant agen or still pregnant? [ 4 Answers ]

Please help! Had a misscariage 4 weeks ago and now have a positive pregnancy test result, my belly feels bloated and breasts feel tender all the pregnant symptoms but if I was less than four weeks would I be getting these feelings or is it possible I didn't have a misscaraig and am still...

Trying to get pregnant [ 4 Answers ]

Im trying to get pregnant and have looked at several different ovulating calanders and they all say pretty much the same thing about when I should be ovualting even giving me exact dates, from what the calendar says I should have started ovulating yesterday but I took a ovulating test today and it...

Am I pregnant? [ 2 Answers ]

I had sex for the first time the day after I got off my cycle and two days later I experienced what felt like morning sickness and I was very sensitive to smells. Everything made my stomach upset. That lasted for about a week and then I was okay. Then I started looking at my nipples and I felt like...

Am I pregnant [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend ejaculated in me twice about a week ago and I'm on the depo shot my last shot was mid march. My stomach has been hurting am I preganat or is it the because shot kicking in

View more questions Search