Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twinkel-star Posts: 50, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2008, 11:54 AM
    Can 13yr olds work over to 2 ohurs in the uk
    Hey I have a job in a sun bed shop and my best worker (school councillor has put in a complaint to the council saying that it is against the law for me to be working 8 ohuers a night 2-3 times a week is this true how can I stop her from making me lose my job? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: sorry about spelling spell check wouldt load
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2008, 12:09 PM
    Legal Age for Employment

The legal age for a young person to start paid work is currently 14 years old. However, some areas of the UK allow the minimum age to be 13 years old to cover certain types of work such as delivering newspapers or working in shops, salons, offices or cafes. You should contact your local government to find out if you are liable to employ 13 year olds for your particular type of work.

What Rules are Connected with Employing Young Children?

The following rules are connected to businesses employing young children (if they are paid or not), where work is carried out for profit. This does not apply to young children that baby-sit or help charities.

* No work is to be carried out during school hours or during school lunch breaks
    * No work is to be carried before 7am or after 7pm
    * Only 2 hours work can be carried out on a school weekday of which no more than one hour of this can be carried out before the start of school hours
    * Work should last no longer than 2 hours on a Sunday
    * Work should last no longer than 8 hours during a Saturday or during a school holiday. This is reduced to 5 hours for those aged under 15
    * Work should last no longer than 35 hours per week during school holidays. This is reduced to 25 hours for those aged under 15
    * Work should last no longer than 12 hours per week when the child is attending school
    * Young children should have at least a 2 week break during the school holidays or at any point during the school year

Minimum Wage

Currently, the law states that the minimum wage for workers aged between 16 and 18 is £3.00 per hour.

Getting Permission to Employ a Young Child

All employers wanting to employ a child before the school leaving age should obtain an application form (from the Education Welfare Service), signed by the employer, parents and head teacher.

A copy of the form should then be sent to the school before the child begins employment.

What is the Exact School Leaving Date?

The law states that the official school leaving date is the last Friday in June during the final school year. Although many children will have reached the age of 16 years old, it is still possible for a child to be 15 years and 10 months at this time.

So yes they can employ you, but they need written permission and special insurance for you to do so, currently your emplyer is breaking all the rules in the book and could be facing a mega fine if they don't act correctly and they are reported.
    You should also NOT be left on the property on your own for other legal reasons, Just go careful sweetheart and talk to your employee before they do get reported as they really need to make sure they have the right paperwork in place.

Jan 2, 2008, 12:23 PM
    So there is nothink I can do because I'm am working 4 ohur a night so I'm going to lose my job?
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2008, 12:29 PM
    Not nescisarily your employer needs to get the correct paperwork sorted and fast they just need to contact the local council and sort it out

Jan 2, 2008, 12:30 PM
    Thanks xx twinkel xx
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2008, 12:31 PM
    Good luck give your boss a call and talk to them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is my 13yr old daughter mean to me [ 8 Answers ]

I am a single mother of two, 13yr old daughter and 11yr old daughter. My ex and I have 50-50 placement and custody. Is it normal for my 13yr old to be plain out mean to me when she is with him? I left her a message on her mySpace just asking how summer school went and what did she get from her...

19 Year Olds and Limits [ 10 Answers ]

I have four daughters. The oldest will be 19 in a week. She had been heavily involved in competitive sports and school which kept her focused and too busy to chase around. Now that she has graduated and is no longer participating in sports she has begun going out with friends we don't know and...

Jobs for 13 yr. Olds [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 13 and I'm trying to find a job with the highest money benefit... or a list of some good ones. Or other things I can do over the summertime... I am pretty interested in pet sitting, grooming, & walking included etc. But Also for that how much should I charge for how long? What times should I...

My 4 year olds temper [ 2 Answers ]

My 4 year old son is a bully. He is out of control. He has a horrific temper that I am having a hard time dealing with. He ruins anything he can get his hands on and he LOVES to beat up on my other kids... and my dog. We have tried everything that has been sugested... and nothing has worked... im...

View more questions Search