Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plum123 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2005, 04:50 PM
    Weight
    Hi I am nearly 15 and weigh 7 1/2 stone - sorry don't know the equivillants etc - my doctor says this is normal but I am fat comparred to everyone else and I am trying to lose weight but does anyone else weigh this and how old are you?
    wizzkid89 Posts: 243, Reputation: 63

Dec 30, 2005, 07:50 PM
    There a few really important things that you must learn from this post right now:
    1) If you doctor says your healthy then there is no need to lose weight.
    2) Don't not measure yourself up to other people.

Everyone is self-conscious about their body image, but if a licensed professional says your not fat, then your not, and there is no logical reason to loose weight because your health is not in danger. The problem is is that you are measuring yourself up to a supermodel, singer, or an actor/actress and setting unreasonable body standards for yourself. Everyone has their own body build and you cannot try to match another persons, its like dna, everyone has a specific one. The doctor takes your body build into consideration when he is deeming you healthy or unhealthy, if he didn't than everyone would be unhealthy as rarely anybody has celebrity bodies. Your problem is not physical, your problem is mental. You need to understand, YOU MUST understand, that you must be your OWN person, you look as you are SUPPOSED to look, again your doctor has said that your are perfectly fine so why would you want to change that. In your post you said your were fatter than everyone else, that right there shows us that you spend too much time looking at other people's bodies and then being harsh on yourself when you don't measure up. Confidence is not in the body but the mind, and when you start to feel good about your body like you should, you will exhert confidence and people will flock to you. However, if you do feel as though you could slim down,keyword slim, DO NOT DIET, YOU SHOULD TONE UP, work out everyone once in a while, lift some weights, do some cardiovascular excersises, what will happen to your body once you start doing this is that your muscles will become tighter and therefore look as though you have lost weight and you will look much slimmer. I hope that after reading this you will not diet, diets do not work they are like a band aid over a broken arm, no help at all, I hope that you will appreciate your perfectly normal body and start to look at people based on personality rather than how they look. If you need anything or have any questions about the things that I have posted be sure to right back or send me a private message. God bless.
    manutd4eva Posts: 209, Reputation: 14

Dec 30, 2005, 08:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzkid89
    There a few really important things that you must learn from this post right now:
    1) If you doctor says your healthy then there is no need to lose weight.
    2) Don't not measure yourself up to other people.

Everyone is self-conscious about their body image, but if a licensed professional says your not fat, then your not, and there is no logical reason to loose weight because your health is not in danger. The problem is is that you are measuring yourself up to a supermodel, singer, or an actor/actress and setting unreasonable body standards for yourself. Everyone has their own body build and you cannot try to match another persons, its like dna, everyone has a specific one. The doctor takes your body build into consideration when he is deeming you healthy or unhealthy, if he didn't than everyone would be unhealthy as rarely anybody has celebrity bodies. Your problem is not physical, your problem is mental. You need to understand, YOU MUST understand, that you must be your OWN person, you look as you are SUPPOSED to look, again your doctor has said that your are perfectly fine so why would you want to change that. In your post you said your were fatter than everyone else, that right there shows us that you spend too much time looking at other people's bodies and then being harsh on yourself when you don't measure up. Confidence is not in the body but the mind, and when you start to feel good about your body like you should, you will exhert confidence and people will flock to you. However, if you do feel as though you could slim down,keyword slim, DO NOT DIET, YOU SHOULD TONE UP, work out everyone once in a while, lift some weights, do some cardiovascular excersises, what will happen to your body once you start doing this is that your muscles will become tighter and therefore look as though you have lost weight and you will look much slimmer. I hope that after reading this you will not diet, diets do not work they are like a band aid over a broken arm, no help at all, I hope that you will appreciate your perfectly normal body and start to look at people based on personality rather than how they look. If you need anything or have any questions about the things that I have posted be sure to right back or send me a private message. God bless.
    Hi I'm 14 1/2 and your post has really helped me too I am 6 1/2 and my doctor says I am just unde but I will try your advice on toning up that you gave to the other person. Thanks
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2005, 07:37 AM
    Weight
    Hi,
    I am 63 yrs old, since you asked for age.
    If your doctor tells you that you are not overweight, then there might not be anything wrong.
    But, if you feel you are, then look at how many calories you are eating everyday, in a 24 hour period.
    You can buy a Calorie Counting paper back book, or look up the calories in what you eat and drink on the web.
    If you are eating much more than 2000 calories in a 24 hour period, one day, then you might want to cut back some.
    2000 is what the normal person needs to not gain, or lose, weight. If you find you are eating 3500 calories a day, then cutting back will let you lose weight!
    Exercise is always good, too.
    Happy New Year.

Dec 31, 2005, 07:47 AM
    Cheers fredg and wizzkid89 I have seen on the back of cornflakes etc etc in shops that says 2000 is for men but what is it for a 14 1/2 year old? Thnks
    wizzkid89 Posts: 243, Reputation: 63

Dec 31, 2005, 02:05 PM
    I can't tell you how much calories you should be consuming, because it is also something that depends on the person, but if you get a calorie book fredg suggested you could calculate your calorie intake based on what you normally eat and cut back from there, also you could search the web because for an online calorie book and I've seen web sites that tell you how much calories you burn when you do a certain activiy. Hope you find something.

Dec 31, 2005, 02:41 PM
    Thanks I will try that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to lose weight [ 8 Answers ]

I am 37 years old. My height is 5 ft 3 inches and I weigh approx 213 lbs. How long will it take to reach my ideal weight if I don't go overboard with dieting ? Also please tell me what is my ideal weight. I don't like to exercise. Also please tell me how many calories I should have daily in order...

Losing weight [ 2 Answers ]

In school, my health teacher is talking about us losing weight and healthfully and my mom was skinnier than me when she was my age I'm in 7th grd and my mom was 80-90 lbs and I'm different I'm 110-112lbs and I'm average but I'm skinny a lot of people say I'm skinny I'm always on the computer,...

Weight [ 2 Answers ]

I am a 17 year old 6'2'' boy. I have always been skinny my entire life but now am beginning to get a little chubby. Just in the past month I have gone from 160 lbs to 180 lbs with no change in exercise or diet. Is there any reason for this jump in weight

Weight training [ 2 Answers ]

Jus wondering can anyone help me. Any weight lifting excersises to build pectoral muscles? I have a set of free weights but no bench

How much weight? [ 1 Answers ]

How much weight should I lose if I am 1.82cm tall and I weigh 80kg? I want to be thinner, because I have quite a fat stomach... thanks

View more questions Search