Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Jan 1, 2008, 03:14 PM
    My aunt wants to induce
    My aunt just called and she's been having contractions for the last two weeks, and no offence she's as big as a horse and wants to get the show on the road. She wanted to use some castor oil to induce but she dosen't have any. Are there any castor oil substitutes out there that are found in the everyday home, or maybe other natrual ways to induce pregnancy?
    Anything would be great, she's desperate!
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2008, 03:26 PM
    She needs to be talking to her doctor, not taking castor oil! If she's 2 or more weeks overdue then her doctor may make the decision to induce, in the hospital under proper medical supervision.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2008, 03:28 PM
    Why doesn't she just get to the hospital and let the doc take care of it?
    Labor is always different. If she tries to induce it she might not even make it to the hospital.
    I barely made it to the hospital with two of mine when I went into labor whereas with my first I was in labor for 30 or 40 some hours.
    Often now many doctors don't think a thing about giving c sections out for any old reason. She might want to ask the doc about that.
    cromptondot Posts: 94, Reputation: 11

Jan 1, 2008, 03:28 PM
    Why does she not just go to the hospital? I doesn't seem like she would want to risk endangering the life of the child or herself.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 1, 2008, 03:33 PM
    Castor oil, my god, and what would she do if the baby started coming, deliver it herself ? She has no idea what position the baby is in and could endangering herself and the baby. Just get to the hospital and let them take care of it.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 1, 2008, 06:11 PM
    Self induction is NEVER a good idea. You have been given some good reasons above, and I will add, if you don't mind...

Baby could be breech, and if so, the umbilical cord could get prolapsed causing a medical emergency and a C-Section within minutes or baby could suffer serious permanent damage, or worse... fetal demise.

If induced before 36 weeks, baby could suffer permanent lung damage.

I understand her wanting to be induced, I myself was given a whole new zip code I was so big with my last child... but induction should ONLY be done under medical supervision of a doctor, midwife or nurse.

You tell her that if she induces herself, at home, her and the baby could be in serious danger.
    Expert

Jan 1, 2008, 07:20 PM
    First off... tell all this to a woman who is at every moment at the verge of delivering her own baby, yes she's that pregnant.

Second, she lives in a small town right down the street from the local hospital, but no doctor who is on vacation is going to induce someone if they know it will take time out of there vacation but that the baby is safe inside her why induce?

Castor oil has been proven to induce pregnancy, its safe if taken in small amounts and won't hurt the mother or child. People once upon a time used to give there children castor oil daily to keep them healthy. It will probbly not cause her to go in to full blown labor at least not right away

Lets not shoot the messenger here I was just trying to help her find a castor oil substitute, not get attacked for what my aunt is doing to try and have her child.
    Expert

Jan 1, 2008, 07:30 PM
    No, hun, castor oil is not safe. And I'm not shooting the messenger, just trying to raise some alarm so you can tell your aunt it is NOT safe. Take it from me, I work in a labor and delivery department of my local hospital. Yes, a long time ago people used to take it, but there have been great strides in medicine since the dark ages of castor oil. LOL

Another reason it is not safe is that it can cause diarrhea, keeping her close to a bathroom when she should be on the way to the hospital, thus making delivery at home a possibility. Also, with diarrhea can come dehydration, and this can extremely complicate labor and delivery.

All hospitals have a doctor on duty... They have to. So there will not be calling a doctor in who is on vacation, they have doctors on call for just this reason.

There are some natural ways to induce, but until I know what week she is in, I digress from giving these methods. Also, they are not tried and true, and may not work for everyone.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2008, 07:38 PM
    So if the doctors are on vacation and she wants to induce labor what is her next step plan?
    Deliver the baby herself or hope she makes it to the ER and have the baby there??
    Like J_9 said a doctor has to be there for her whether it is induced or not so what purpose does inducing serve other than she is desperate?
    Expert

Jan 1, 2008, 07:41 PM
    There is ALWAYS a doctor on staff, and if not on the premises of the hospital, there is ALWAYS one on call.
    Expert

Jan 2, 2008, 10:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    So if the doctors are on vacation and she wants to induce labor what is her next step plan?
    Deliver the baby herself or hope she makes it to the ER and have the baby there???
    Like J_9 said a doctor has to be there for her whether it is induced or not so what purpose does inducing serve other than she is desparate??
    Er yea... if she starts to have the baby she can go to the hospital to deliver, they can't stop it once she really starts going and like J_9 said there are doctors there however, they won't induce her but will be forced to deliver her child if she goes in to full labor. And her husband is home with her at this point so it's not like she's going to cut tha ambilical cord herself if worse comes to worse. And note I said SMALL AMOUNTS of castor oil, I don't think she planned on drinking the whole bottle. :)
    I know this whole thing is screwed up but I'm just trying to help her out a bit.

Jan 2, 2008, 10:56 AM
    It is just not safe to induce labor herself.So many things could go wrong,and yes, there is ALWAYS a doctor on call.
    Expert

Jan 2, 2008, 10:58 AM
    Yes I know there are doctors there, she knows that too. But they'll send her home until her contractions are closer togeather.
    Thank you everyone for your concerns but please forget I even asked for help for my aunt.

Jan 2, 2008, 11:03 AM
    Maybe you can help her by being there for her,understanding her frustrations,and making her comfortable. The doctors know what is best for her. Good luck to her and to you.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 2, 2008, 11:27 AM
    Something does not sound right here...

You seem so frustrated over our advice for the safety of the mother and child... and you take it upon yourself to ask about induction hints at home for your aunt- when this is really the responsibility of the father and the individual who is pregnant. Did they ask you to seek help in this personal and intimate issue? Is there a financial reason for ensuring that she is in labor when she arrives at the hospital so that they cannot turn her away?

At any rate, I sincerely wish that the mother and child will go through a stressless and uneventful delivery, with or without your intervention.

All mothers get desperate to have their babies as soon as possible, just let mother nature and doctors do their thing and all should be well.
    Expert

Jan 2, 2008, 04:09 PM
    Yes very frustrated, I should have just asked what substitutes there are for castor oil.
    Stupid me for saying why it was needed.
    It dosen't matter anyway, they'll induce her this week now that the docs aren't on vacation.
    Expert

Jan 2, 2008, 04:11 PM
    Ger, hun, the last 4 weeks of pregnancy are literally the hardest on us women. I would have given anything to have my youngest weeks earlier than I did. But, in all honesty, the longer the baby stays in utero, the healthier it is when it is born.

Again, I know of some natural things that may or may not work, but without knowing how far along she is, or if she is considered high risk, I hesitate to offer that information.

I wish her a happy and healthy delivery.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 2, 2008, 05:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gernald
    yes very frustrated, I should have just asked what substitutes there are for castor oil.
    Stupid me for saying why it was needed.
    It dosen't matter anyway, they'll induce her this week now that the docs aren't on vacation.
    Dear Gernald. It is never stupid to be concerned about a loved one. Some things are just not in your power to 'fix' no matter how much you want to help. That's why there are professionals to help. You can give your love and moral support, help around the house, and assist in helping her relax as much as possible. Just think of the risks you would have taken, and if something went wrong - you'd never forgive yourself - so there is a reason why you contacted us and told us why. Again - you were not stupid - you were just concered and that is never wrong.

J_9 knows what she is talking about and we are here to help you as much as possible.

Not too many young men care as much as you do and we feel for you, but as I said before, some things just are not in your hands..

Wishing all of you luck and joy when the new family member finally arrives.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Bipolar aunt [ 2 Answers ]

It all started when she got a tummy tuck... that where all the problems came from... Well after her surgery she became verry deppresed and she alwas ran away from home... The family has about 8-10 years in the same thing taking care of her and making sure she doesn't leave... Just the other day...

Is it possible to move in with my aunt? [ 3 Answers ]

Here's the scoop, I hate my mom with a passion and I'm about to go on probation and community service, also juvy and no license till I'm 18. All because of a gay thing that happened with one of my friends. We stole a car. Anyway, my aunt will gladly take me, and my mom is crazy. Not diagnosed...

As an Aunt, do I have any rights? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am the aunt of a wonderful little boy who is 18 months old. Sadly, my brother, who is his father, passed away almost one year ago. For the last year, it has been a struggle to see my nephew on a regular basis without dealing with arguments or harassment from his mother. Going back,...

Aging aunt [ 6 Answers ]

My aunt is 89 and acting up in her condo--told the desk clerk her great-grandchild had been kidnapped. She lives with her daughter and there's a love/hate relationship. She doesn't want an aide to sit with her while her daughter is at work, nor does she want to go to a home. How can we convince...

View more questions Search