Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gibson997 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2007, 06:17 PM
    Why clasp hands and bow head in prayer
    Why do Christians bow their head and clasp their hands in prayer?
    Is their anything Biblical and if so what is the scripture?
    I believe it is tradition. But where did it get its start?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 31, 2007, 06:24 PM
    The legend of it is that it came from colonia America as a way of avoiding fidgeting during long prayers . In the early church they seldom folded them but had them turned palm upwards to catch the blessings of God.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 31, 2007, 06:31 PM
    Bowing one's head is an ancient Asian action that shows respect, deference to one higher in authority, and humility. Clasping one's hands keeps them still and keeps them from doing other stuff, is a form of adoration.
    fallen2grace Posts: 199, Reputation: 4

Dec 31, 2007, 11:18 PM
    I think it's just tradition. But we bow our heads and fold our hands so that we can concentrate on talking to God. And so we are not focused on the things around us. You really don't have to do that to pray though. I don't.
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Jan 1, 2008, 12:31 AM
    Bowing is humbling. You lay yourself at the feet of the LORD and at His mercy.
    Tertullian Posts: 33, Reputation: 3
    -

Jan 4, 2008, 09:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gibson997
    Not all Christians bow their heads in prayer. Some pray with arms lifted, hands waving, even dancing about. Prayer posture is not dictated in the Bible. The bowed head goes back to the days of 'divine' monarchy, when kings demanded an act of submission (or servitude) from their 'serfs'. Early Christians followed the Jewish practice of 'davening'... swaying back and forth while praying, until reverence for the Eucharist and the "King of Kings" led to kneeling and head bowing. Interesting side note: kneeling was an integral part of Jewish ritual at the Temple in Jerusalem.. but when Christians began to kneel in worship, Jewish rabbis prohibted it in Jewish worship. Attend a synagogue today and you will find standing and sitting... but NO kneeling.
    GospelMan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2008, 09:22 PM
    It is showing submission to the one you are praying to.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2008, 09:32 PM
    Most of the answers received so far are really good. I just want to add that in my own opinion. I do not think it matters what position we are in while praying. I think the thoughts and feelings and prayer are more important to God then the actually position we are in.

Like others have said in different ways it is a way of showing your loyalty to God. In the physical sense.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 7, 2008, 05:22 PM
    I personally do it more often with hands upwards and head looking up.

But then I have oftened wondered as in the NT Paul speaks about women praying with their heads covered, I wonder why women don't still do it today often any longer
    peters01alm Posts: 39, Reputation: -2

Jan 7, 2008, 07:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    Bowing one's head is an ancient Asian action that shows respect, deference to one higher in authority, and humility. Clasping one's hands keeps them still and keeps them from doing other stuff, is a form of adoration.
    I think all ancient human cultures showed respect etc. this way.
    RustyFairmount Posts: 165, Reputation: 40

Jan 7, 2008, 09:03 PM
    I think it's genetic. Watch little children when they're caught in a lie, or embarrassed. They tend to bow their heads. Bowing your head is a sign of submission. You humble yourself in front of someone (or God) who is superior to you.

The key is in the type of prayer being said. If it is a prayer of praise, then raising my head and hands is appropriate. If I am admitting my inferiority, and wish to be like Jesus, I bow my head. Context is extremely important.
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2008, 05:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gibson997
    We bow our head as an expression of humility.

Luke 14 11 Because every one that exalteth himself, shall be humbled; and he that humbleth himself, shall be exalted.

Clasping hands probably began in the early Church when Christians approached the Eucharist, they were instructed to make a "throne" with their hands to receive the King. This is explained by St Cyril.

Communion may be received either in the hand or on the tongue. Around the year A.D. 390, Cyril of Jerusalem indicated that the early Church practiced Communion in the hand when he instructed his audience: "Approaching, therefore, come not with thy wrists extended, or thy fingers open; but make thy left hand as if a throne for thy right, which is on the eve of receiving the King. And having hallowed thy palm, receive the body of Christ, saying after it, ‘Amen.’ Then after thou hast with carefulness hallowed thine eyes by the touch of the holy body, partake thereof; giving heed lest thou lose any of it; for what thou losest is a loss to thee as it were from one of thine own members. For tell me, if anyone gave thee gold dust, wouldst thou not with all precaution keep it fast, being on thy guard against losing any of it, and suffering loss?" (Catechetical Lectures 23:22).
    Who Can Receive Communion?

Sincerely,
    Lagartouno Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2011, 03:10 PM
    1 Timothy 2:8 says that men are to pray with holy hands lifted to God, free from anger and controversy. I cannot find any specific reference in the Bible to bowing heads during prayer.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2011, 05:08 PM
    Pure tradition, as far as I can discern. "We've always done it this way."
    Dacusa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2012, 09:37 PM
    In Jesus' day no one knelt, bowed their heads, folded hands nor closed their eyes. Praying was done standing with eyes open or fully prostrate on the ground. That was also the practice in the Old Testament. Jews today still stand praying at the wailing wall which is all that is left of the ancient temple.
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2012, 07:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post

But then I have oftened wondered as in the NT Paul speaks about women praying with their heads covered, I wonder why women don't still do it today often any longer
    1 Corinthians 11 is a teaching of keeping the ordinances and proper power over us for protection. So the verse in 1 Corinthians 11:10 says (For this cause ought the woman to have [power on her head because] of the angels.) It continues to say 11:11 Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, [in the Lord]..

To avoid all question in this do read:
    1 Corinthians 11:15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for [her hair is given her for a covering].
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2012, 08:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gibson997 View Post
    You are correct in thinking it is tradition. If you follow Christ you can ensample HIS example as written in (Mark 14:35 And he went forward a little, and [fell on the ground, and prayed] that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him.

And too we are told by Jesus how to pray, where I suggest those that follow Christ hear HIS voice in (Matthew 6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.)

It is important to pray in the spirit as Paul ensamples many times in scripture. Understand that we need the help of the Spirit who makes intercession for us.. ( Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. )
    samdarwen Posts: 68, Reputation: 2

Mar 16, 2012, 02:20 PM
    It is some kind of showing submission however; Christians are not the ones that came up with it even when lots of other believes use it started in Asia thousands of years and it was used for bowing to a person or a symbol at the time, so when the Asians ideologies arrived to the middle east and was used there like in Egypt (At the time of Faros). Now it was seen a sign of devotion and that lived through history like many other things

Hope this answers your question
    Sam

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Christian prayer [ 12 Answers ]

Isn't it true that christians will accept almost any event as an answer to a prayer ? After all, they have three ideas about prayer : (1) Yes, (2), No, & (3), Not yet. A 4th idea that I've heard many times is (4), Here's your answer according to my will. It seems to me to say that God says yes, no,...

The Prayer [ 1 Answers ]

Some years ago I watched an Estonian or Latvain choir on TV singing a piece the music called The Prayer . The programme was about the great tradition of choral music in these countries. Can anyone shed any light on this piece

Prayer... [ 10 Answers ]

I know this may seem like a weird question, but how do I get God to hear me and help me?

Prayer doesn't help my situation. Can you? [ 16 Answers ]

My husband and I keep ending up in dire financial straits. In previous posts, I questioned whether this was luck, past relatives getting revenge, etc. and, with your help, began to really pay closer attention to what goes on between my husband and I. Quite simply, our economic mishaps seem to...

Prayer [ 15 Answers ]

Is it possible to be spiritual and/or religious and never pray? By that I mean praying in the traditional sense... either using your own words to speak to G-d or words in a prayer book. Why I ask is because prayer has always seemed pretty foreign and weird to me. I am quite a non-religious Jew,...

View more questions Search