Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sunnyMI Posts: 62, Reputation: 7

Dec 30, 2007, 04:30 PM
    Cat eating its own tail, need suggestions.
    My friend has a cat that eats its own tail. It's become so bad that the "bone" part of the tail is exposed, so she has wrapped the remainder of its tail with medical bandages and changes them regularly to prevent this from occurring at this time but would like a more preventative approach. She has two other cats, and there are no issues with the cats fighting or anything, so her question is as to why her one cat does this, and how to prevent it. The cat is very gentle and loving... any suggestions?
    Goldenwolf Posts: 157, Reputation: 9

Dec 30, 2007, 04:39 PM
    Some dogs do bite their tails, but Ive never heard of cats bitting their tails though.
    First, this is my opinion, I'm no animal expert, I am a bit unexperienced, but I think I could help.

Since when does the cat 'eat' its tail? Was there any important event in the cats life before that? It could be that the cat isn't fed properly or something. Is this cat clean, maybe it could be a flea. But I think your friend should take the cat to a vet, to see if there is something wrong with the cat.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2007, 05:28 PM
    Do anyone play with the cat with a laser light, flash light or any orther type of battery operated toy. Some cats can not handle this type of play. Even toys that swings around the cats head and over its back end leading it in a tail chasing mode. If this is not the case, when the tail is healed try some bitter apple spray on the tail or some other non toxic spray. The pet store , walmart etc.. should have a few different types. Make sure it is safe for cats and their skin.
    dogpoundbrenda Posts: 78, Reputation: 12

Dec 30, 2007, 05:59 PM
    This could also be earmites and let me explain why... when cats sleep they usually curl their tails up around their head and if they have earmites this a perfect way to get to their tails and their back.. so they will bite that area because they are getting bitten... if no earmites are present then check to see if its anal glands are swollen or infected which could also cause this.. if that's not the problem it's a behavioral thing or some type of injury or maybe nerve damage... I am not a vet.but I do work for 2 so you do what you feel would be best for your cat...
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 30, 2007, 06:01 PM
    If the cat has fleas, the fleas will sit on places including the tail and drive the cat nuts. Please take the cat to a vet, or at least call a vet for advice.
    sunnyMI Posts: 62, Reputation: 7

Dec 30, 2007, 06:16 PM
    Thanks for all the advice. I will pass it along to my friend. Happy New Year to everyone!
    Goldenwolf Posts: 157, Reputation: 9

Dec 30, 2007, 06:24 PM
    Happy New Year!
    Sarah_the_vet_tech Posts: 38, Reputation: 11

Dec 30, 2007, 08:09 PM
    I agree with Brenda. Get it to a vet soon because the tail being exposed like that is a breed ground for infection also. The cats has to be in some kind of pain too.
    tepest Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2008, 01:12 PM
    Yes take it to the vet right away! Anaerobic bacteria breed and fester wounds that open and covered under a bandage. Anytime your pet has an opened sore take it to the vet ASAP!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is tail banding? [ 11 Answers ]

:confused: I recently inquired about a puppy from several breeders. One of the questions I asked was if there tails were docked ? I had several tell me that they banded there puppies tails and that it caused less trauma than whacking it off at that vet. I know from experience that having a litter...

Tail chewing [ 2 Answers ]

My 6 month old beagle mix chewed half of his tail off tonight! I don't think he broke the skin, just almost all the hair that he could reach. It looks like someone took a razor to it. Help, please; any ideas as to why he's doing this and what I need to do in order to stop it? Some background...

Fan tail [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Me and my girlfriend have just got a 25 gallon tank and got a couple of fan tail fishes 3 weeks ago. We have just got back and found one dead and the other one is looking ill. We have treated the water for chlorine and have a filter in it which we bought new. I am just wondering what...

Tail on shrimp [ 6 Answers ]

What is the etiquette for eating tail on shrimp?

Tail back? [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I'm a sophomore now and I have been a receiver since my first year of football which was only last year. I am a pretty good receiver and played some varsity this year. The problem is I'm 5'9 right now and it seems that my height is peaked at 15 years of age. I don't see many reciever's under...

View more questions Search