Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hol Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2007, 08:43 PM
    Min pin too skinny
    Hi I have a min pin that is almost 2 yrs old I have such a hard time keeping weight on him I was wondering if there is a speical dog food for this... he is skinny if I give him wet food everyday he gains a little but he doesn't really agree with him.. alot of people tell me they are usually skinny but he is under weight... any ideas
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2007, 08:54 PM
    What does your vet say? In many cases it is best to leave well enough alone unless the vet insists the dog needs to gain weight. See https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171

Dec 27, 2007, 08:59 PM
    He told me to keep giving the wet food but when he seen him he had weight on him but lost some but his stomac doesn't really agree with wet food that well...
    Sarah_the_vet_tech Posts: 38, Reputation: 11

Dec 28, 2007, 05:05 AM
    Is he having diarrhea with the wet food? Because if he is that could explain the weight loss.
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2007, 08:03 AM
    If the dog has gotten worse following the vet's advice, better talk to the vet again.

How quickly did you make the switch? Unless you worked the new in over a week, just the change could cause the diarrhea. Even then, it might take longer for the stools to firm up.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2007, 08:16 AM
    Some small breed dogs actually stay skinny until their metabolism slows down. If the vet has checked the dog out, and the dog seems healthy in other ways (teeth, bone, coat, playful, etc), there may be no point in trying to make it gain weight.

I have a 1.5 year old chihuahua, and she eats twice a day and I give her treats daily... and she's still very very skinny due to running around so much.
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2007, 09:06 AM
    Yes is quite common for both large and small dogs to refuse to eat as much as their owners thing they should. I frequently advise people to leave well enough alone. That is why in my first answer I asked about the vet. I would trust the word of a good vet that has seen the dog, much more than just another dog owner that chooses to post to AMHD.

As long as you aren't pressuring the vet for a solution, I would do as your vet says. Let him decide what is best for the dog, not keeping you happy.
    dogpoundbrenda Posts: 78, Reputation: 12

Dec 28, 2007, 07:39 PM
    I have a Min.Pin and she has no problem with her weight and she's 15.My other Min.Pin. Was younger and extremely active so his metabolisim stayed in high gear as most Min.Pins. Do.How much do you feed him?Is he very active? A little more info could possibly help answer your question. And tell your Vet if the canned food is upsetting him,he may want to do other tests.

Dec 28, 2007, 11:08 PM
    He hasn't had any diarrhea.. hes not that active during the day when I'm not home he is in his crate then when I come home I let him out he plays but likes to come back in after only a little bit then comes on my lap and lays down so he is not jumping around.. the wet food helps keeps his weight good but he goes to the bathroom more its hard but he goes about 5 times a day.. but when I give him the dry food alone he doesn't keep weight on good... I feed him twice a day and he eats some times I catch him eating the other dogs food too so he like to eat but just doesn't keep the weight on... im going to try to call the vet again see what he says... or try a different vet wasn't too crazy about this guy...
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2007, 06:57 AM
    You are not letting some chart keep you from giving her what she will eat are you? Our one Lab came to us at 7 months with her ribs showing. When she didn't seem to be gaining weight on 6 cups a day of adult Pro Plan, we went to 7. It took a few months, but she went from 55 pounds to a lean 70 pounds at a year old. It is funny how many of out best stories include Peggy that we only had about 6 months. So if she will eat more, the solution is easy, give it to her.

Dec 29, 2007, 09:07 AM
    No I let him eat more then the bag says.. plus I usually see him eating the other dogs food to he loves to eat... im trying a few kind of food better brand maybe it will help more...
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2007, 10:31 AM
    If you were feeding a concentrated, meat based chow, I wouldn't mess around changing chow if he will eat more of it. If that is the case, I am disappointed the vet switched him to canned.

In the early days, when I switched Nugget over to the Purina adult chow, he refused to eat enough to hide his ribs. It could have been partly the big hard kibbles when he didn't have all his adult teeth yet. I switched him to a meat based chow, and he did better, at least I could take him out in public with out people calling the Humane Society.

Later I was feeding Lucky Pro Plan. He was a typical Lab, and I had no problem getting him to eat the 6 cups he needed.

If you just can't stand feeding more, try a meat based small breed puppy chow. You can find one at any pet supply, maybe Wal-Mart, and nothing else so easily available is higher in calories.

Dec 29, 2007, 05:47 PM
    Thanks labman I am going to check out his food if its not meat based I will find one that is thanks a lot for everyone's help

Dec 30, 2007, 10:14 AM
    Just thought I would update today I as I looked at my vinny he seems to have gained a little weight since I been give him Purina dog chow for the last week he eats more then what they say to give but it seems to look like its working for him...
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2007, 11:35 AM
    The regular Purina is not a concentrated chow. The Purina 1 is meat based, but still not as concentrated as their Pro Plan. As long as a dog will eat all it needs of whatever you are feeding, and it is doing fine, stick to it. For all the arguments over dog chow, nearly everybody agrees with sticking with what is working. My son feeds his Foxhound Purina because he remembers our Labs thriving on it while he still lived at home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm too skinny [ 4 Answers ]

I'm too skinny,everyone tells me and I'm so self conscious about the way I look.and I alwayz feel ugli,nothing looks good on me because my curves don't show, I don't ever skip meals and I always eat,but I don't grow why is that? how can I put on weight I want to be a normal size,please help...

Too Skinny [ 9 Answers ]

Okay I'm 17 years old and I'm so skinny I'm just 100 pounds and I haven't gained any weight for a couple of years and I want to gain weight but it never works... like every time I eat a lot I never gain weight and I just get so tired of eating and eating till I'm full to the point where I want to...

"Straight" Skinny vs "Gay" Skinny [ 3 Answers ]

I was recently watching a show called "Will & Grace" and in one of their episodes, the main character, a gay male named Will, was trying to eat a cookie when his gay (male) friend Jack interrupted. Grace, a straight female friend was there. The following dialogue is transcribed from the episode. ...

Too Skinny? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a 13 year old girl, 5' 1", 95 pounds, 22 inch waist and 32 inch hips. It's nearing the end of track season now (I'm a long/middle distance track runner and a cross country runner), and I never noticed how skinny I was before. I'm starting to run 30 miles a week in order to build my base for XC...

Too skinny [ 1 Answers ]

I have a black lab crossed with a irish lab, he's a boy and eats a lot but his back bones show really well and is so0 thin? I'm just wondering is he OK? Or is there something I could do? He eats all the right puppy food biscuts etc.. He's about four months old? Please help!:confused:

View more questions Search