Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    patrick5150 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2007, 06:10 PM
    Heat pump
    What is the proper way to check the charge on a heatpump in the heating operation. Would it be sub cooling on the high side or what. Some times I have put it into cooling just to see if I'm close, but I know that is not close outdoor temp here is only about 60 to 55.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 27, 2007, 08:40 PM
    Actually the best way to service a heat pump and check for the proper charge is to recover the refrigerant in the system and then weigh in the refrigerant charge according to the chart on the unit. All else is guess work because there are to many variables.
    Stubby74 Posts: 34, Reputation: 4

Dec 28, 2007, 05:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick5150
    What is the proper way to check the charge on a heatpump in the heating operation. Would it be sub cooling on the high side or what. some times I have put it into cooling just to see if I'm close, but I know that is not close outdoor temp here is only about 60 to 55.
    Agree with above answer... if unsure on charge... recover and weigh in at manufacturer specs... gmc's way of checking in heat mode is to get a good measured temp of your line... should be around 125 degrees higher than outdoor ambient. That is pretty close.. and your suction pressure should be around outdoor ambient... but going from spec sheet with actual heat pump is the most accurate.
    patrick5150 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2008, 06:33 PM
    Thanks for the help. The 126 plus ambient temp is close but like 69 plus 126 is 195 line temp.
    Still seems high. Tranes chart is OK , but carrier and goodman and lennox don't have a chart should I use the same idea as 126 plus ambient? With an outdoor TXV why can't sub cooling be use. I know not the smartest question but worth asking.
    Stubby74 Posts: 34, Reputation: 4

Jan 2, 2008, 03:48 AM
    Well... I would hope at 69 outside temp heat won't be running! Most Carriers have the chart on the inside of access panel. ANd that is good question on TXV outside... subcooling? Never thought of it.. just used charts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

20 yr old Lennox heat pump fan blows constantly in heat mode [ 5 Answers ]

20 year old Lennox heat pump - outside temps been 30's at night, 40's daytime UPDATE: I went outside and the unit is covered in frost on 3 sides! I've been reading on Google about frosted heat pump units and can't determine how to manually defrost it. Apparently, the auto defrost is not...

Why does my air handeling coil freeze up when the heat pump is in heat mode? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a TRANE XL 1200 heat pump. When in the heat mode the air handeling coil freezes up, enough to block the air flow. I can turn the heat pump off and leave the air handeling unit air circulating fan on and get the ice melted. After 30 minutes or so I can turn the heat pump back to the on...

Heat pump thermostat Aux. Light is going on when no resistance heat used. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Maple Chase SaverStat thermostat on a Lenox heat pump. The thermostat and heat pump are ten years old. Recently when the heat pump comes on the Aux. light on the thermostat also goes on (not the emergency heat light). I have checked and the auxiliary heat strips and they are not heating...

Ductless A/C with Heat Pump - Heat pump does not come on [ 1 Answers ]

Hi The A/C works great but in the morning when its cool outside and I switch on the Heat the indoor unit makes a clicking sound and the fan stays off - after about 8 minutes I switch to A/C I get a rush of ice cold air along with some mist. Seems like when I switch to heat the indoor unit...

View more questions Search