Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PJBilotta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2007, 01:53 PM
    Basement Bath P-Trap Install Details
    I am preparing to install a bath tub in a new basement bath. The groundwork is done, dirt's back in the hole and my next step is to re-pour the concrete. I know I need to leave a box around the tub drain and vent connections for hook-up later and have a few questions on the details.

1. How large and deep should this box be?
    2. Should the box be centered on the approximate location of the tub drain?
    3. Do the box walls need to be concrete, or is wood sufficient?
    4. And, finally.. . When all is said and done, what do I do with this exposed box and dirt under my new tub? Is this left exposed, or do I fill in the trap box and top with a thin slab to seal the floor?

Thanks for your advice on these details.

- Peter
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 27, 2007, 03:24 PM
    1. How large and deep should this box be?
    2. Should the box be centered on the approximate location of the tub drain?
    3. Do the box walls need to be concrete, or is wood sufficient?
    4. And, finally.. . When all is said and done, what do I do with this exposed box and dirt under my new tub? Is this left exposed, or do I fill in the trap box and top with a thin slab to seal the floor?

1) this hole/box is called the tub "dap-out". And is usuallya 12 to 14" square hole as deep as the trap.
    2) It should be centered on the traps raiser.
    3)We do not build walls in a dap-out. The walls and deck are left bare, (more about that in #4.
    4)You leave the hole open so the tubs drainage can be serviced. However if you're concerned about bugs and termites you can coat the walls and deck with roofing cement.
    Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you Install a house trap yourself? [ 4 Answers ]

I just had a plumber come out and they told me that my house trap is rusted/clogged and has tree roots in it. Their recommendation is to replace it (I totally agree) I'm pretty sure that the code in Allegheny county, PA says that you have to keep the trap. Unfortunately, the Roto-Rooter guy said...

Build Shower Platform & Install Above Ground P-Trap in Basement Shower [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm new to this site. I tried to find the answer in previous posts and did find some great info, but I still have some questions :) This is what I want to do: Install a corner shower with dimensions 36" in x 36" in the basement, build a platform, & add an above ground p-trap. ...

Install dishwasher on second trap? [ 6 Answers ]

We are in the midst of installing a new kitchen. Our old kitchen has the standard double sink and adjoining dishwasher all going to a single p-trap in the sink cabinet. One of the things that really bothered me with this arrangement was the GE dishwasher drain noise that came up through the...

Bath tub Dump Trap [ 3 Answers ]

My house was built in 1938, my tub drain goes into a dump trap. Why do I have 2 exits on the dump trap instead of 1 in and 1 out? Where does the second one go?

How to install a running P-trap in septic system [ 14 Answers ]

My husband and I have a country place that we go to for about 4 months of the year. It is on a septic system. The system was put in in 1998. Everything works fine with one exception. After we have been in the country place for about 6 weeks, the septic begins to smell. There is some slight...

View more questions Search