Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joshmac54 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2005, 09:27 AM
    Washer hose rusted on
    My brother in law just bought an old house, from the 50's. As they were installing the new washer they noticed the old cold water hose was rusted on to the vavle. After numerous attempts with WD40 two pipe wrenches and two guys the thing still has not budged. In an attempt to possibly screw off the valve head, we cut the hose (it was old anyway). It is the kind of hookup that is between two sheetrocked walls (in the kitchen no less) so access to the pipe is not easy. We were able to peer between a slight gap in the sheetrock and the plastic thing fitting around the two valves and the drain pipe to see that it is PVC (size unkown). Since it's PVC every time we try to loosen the hose connector the valve just bends and flexes. Now the valve leaks, is broken, and there is a brass hose connector still rusted to it. I imagine we need to replace the vavle. How do we go about doing it? That was too broad of a question, let me rephrase. Does the vavle head screw off or will we need to cut into the dry wall? Bottom line is, I can't see to how the valve is connected with the plastic thing in the way, but I can't get the plastic thing off because the valve head is on. What am I missing here?

Thanks, we sure did make a mess, but oh was it fun! - Josh
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2005, 11:07 AM
    My guess is that the valve is cemented on. If it screwed on, likely in trying to remove the hose, you would have turned it. If you can see a hex on the valve, likely that does mean it does screw off. Just work harder at turning it. Once out, you can just screw in another. Otherwise, it means cutting the drywall. May as well make room to work, a big hole isn't much harder to patch than a small one. Or make a big hole and put in a modern laundry outlet. PVC is easy to work with and almost fool proof if you follow the directions and clean and prime the pipe before cementing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain hole in tub rusted and too big [ 5 Answers ]

Hello Plumbing Geniuses, I have a bath tub that looks like it has been leaking for years at the tub drain. Consequently, the hole in the bottom of the tub is rotten and rusted around the edges, and bigger than it should be. The new drain replacement will not fit securely and there could be...

Rusted drain pipe broke off, how do I fix it... [ 1 Answers ]

We were having some kitchen cabinets installed and the drain pipe the goes into the wall for the sink broke off, well part of the threads broke off inside the 45 deg. Connector inside the wall. I can see the 45 deg connector and it looks fine and so does the pipe inside the wall, we removed the...

How far for the dish washer drain hose? [ 1 Answers ]

I need to get my new dish washer (I haven't brought yet), to a drain. The problem is that (My 4 plex is commercial and all concrete) the closest drain is 10' away from center. I'd even like to get it to drain in the G.disposal, which is another 4 feet, which makes it 14' total. Is this possible? Is...

Washer hose flow valve [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought new washing machine connectors at a national home improvement store. They are billed as flood preventative because they have a diaphram valve at the connector which shuts down water flow when flow exceeds 2.5 gpm. However, I can only turn on the water valves less than a quarter of a...

Dyi rusted toilet flange? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a toilet flange on a 4" cast iron pipe (c. 1955) that has rusted away to the extent that the flange lip has broken away, so the toilet bolts have nothing to hold on to. The flange is cast iron, the pipe appears to be cast iron. I can get to the pipe from under the floor but not the top...

View more questions Search