Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    de_010_gemini Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2007, 09:58 PM
    Cooking dye on white carpet
    OKAY, my nephew just basically rubbed, smeared and colored stuff w/ food dye into our white carpet upstairs in our BRAND NEW house! Red, blue, green,purple, and black. Does anyone know how to get that type of stuff out.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 24, 2007, 10:04 PM
    I broke a bottle of red fingernail polish on the hearth once it spalttered on the carpet some areas were about dime sized. I used oxy clean to remove it. It worked better on the carpet than it did on the hearth. *edit* carpet was light maybe sage green.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 24, 2007, 10:06 PM
    Call the carpet manufacturer or the store where you bought it (to find out the name of the manufacturer)? A drycleaners? The library reference department? What you don't want to do is set the stains by applying the wrong treatment.

Try a small area with Oxyclean (like bushg said) or Simple Green (used to de-oil wildlife after oil spills, etc.).

Dec 24, 2007, 10:24 PM
    o OK thanks, any more suggestions... like at home remedies, cause it is x- mas eve [[well now its christmas]] and all the stores are going to be closed for a while.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 24, 2007, 10:40 PM
    From http://www.doityourself.com/stry/floorcarpetcleaning:

Stains in carpet can be a hassle to remove. Never rub a stain, just blot. Rubbing breaks down the fibers and spreads the stain. Remove most food stains with shaving cream. Spray on and resist the temptation to rub it in, then let it set for 15 minutes. Rinse with a vinegar and water solution.

Club soda generally removes red wine stains. Remove red dye stains (found in drink mixes, Popsicles, dog and cat food) with a 30/70 solution of peroxide to water. Remember, peroxide is bleach, so test an inconspicuous spot first for color fastness. Apply the mixture, wait 30 minutes, then remove as much moisture as possible and rinse with a vinegar/water solution. If the stain remains, add a bit more peroxide to the mixture and retreat.

Brake cleaner also does a good quick job of removing most food stains. Dab a little on a clean cloth and gently blot the stain. Rinse with soap and water. Brake cleaner contains the same chemical professional dry cleaners use to clean stains in clothing. Do not pour brake cleaner directly into the carpet. It could dissolve the adhesive holding the fibers in the carpet.

Oops, the dog had an accident and the stain and smell refuse all attempts at removal. First try an enzyme product. Pour on enough to saturate to the pad and treat an area twice as large as the stain. Urine hits the pad and spreads. Let it set a couple of hours. You'll find enzyme products at pet stores, RV or marine stores. They are used in the holding tanks to dissolve solid material.

Should that not remove all the stain or odor, baking soda and peroxide remain your best hope. Mix a 30/70 solution of peroxide to water adding 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda per cup of mixture. Yes, it bubbles and fizzles, but not before removing the stain and smell. Always test a spot first for colorfastness. Peroxide is bleach and may discolor the carpet. Blot up what you can with an old towel and rinse well with 1/3 cup vinegar per quart of water.

If you see red spots on your carpet where your pet just lost its lunch, switch food to a neutral colored food. The red dye in pet food is the culprit behind those spots. Dogs and cats are colorblind, so they can't tell the difference. Again, use the 30/70 peroxide and water combination for removal.

Oil, grease, magic marker and ink can be the ens to remove. Most janitorial companies or department stores carry a product called DeSolvit. WD40 or Orange Clean also work wonders at removing these stubborn stains. Rubbing alcohol removes ink. Blot on, allow to set 30 minutes and blot to remove. Rinse with sudsy water. Magic marker is generally permanent and you may not be able to remove it.

Gum - Freeze gum with ice cubes and chip off what you can with the blunt side of a kitchen knife. DeSolveit removes the rest.

Dec 27, 2007, 11:11 AM
    Thank you!
    ConfusedinSC Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Feb 18, 2008, 10:48 PM
    If it has a protein base... plain old hydrogen peroxide will get it out. Food coloring, blood, etc. good as new. Oxy clean... hydrogen per "oxide"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cooking for one? [ 8 Answers ]

Just a quick question: My husband is in the military and has been gone for the last 3 months, and won't be home for another month. It is hard enough to cook a meal for only 2 people, but when it is just me it is even harder! I normally cook big meals and bake a lot when he is home, but when it is...

Rust on White Carpet [ 2 Answers ]

I have several rust stains on a acrylic off-white carpet. Will any of the products like Rustoleum" get rid of the stains. Is it safe? Would prefer to use something NON-chemical if anyone has suggestions. Thank you.:confused:

Charged for carpet replacement, carpet was not damaged [ 4 Answers ]

I moved out of an apartment and was charged $569.06 to replace the carpet. There was one stain, approximately 12x12 that I agreed was damaged. When I moved out, the Apartment Manager alleged, in writing, that I had a pet. I did not have a pet. I am an 18 year Flight Attendant and literally...

Help withamerican cooking [ 7 Answers ]

I am a desperate ex pat.. now living in Florida and I have always used my british bero recipe book in England and always had great results. Now after living in the states for a year and a half , NONE of my cakes rise and my yorkshire puddings are a disaster. Is the flour different here... is the...

Cooking a turkey [ 2 Answers ]

How long do you cook a turkey? So many minutes per pound??

View more questions Search