Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cmswiger Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2007, 10:37 AM
    Tired from Turkey
    What is in turkey that make people so tired?:confused:
    Cristal444 Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Dec 24, 2007, 10:40 AM
    It's actually a myth that turkey in particular makes you tired. The old wives' tale was that tryptophan, a particular protein, was responsible for wanting a nap after Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. However, turkey actually has LESS tryptophan than other meats that are not associated with naptime. The most likely reason for feeling tired after your holiday dinner is the sheer quantity of food you comsume- your body wants to shut down so it can spend all of its energy digesting the big meal you just ate.
    Goldenwolf Posts: 157, Reputation: 9

Dec 30, 2007, 07:46 AM
    :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristal444
    . The most likely reason for feeling tired after your holiday dinner is the sheer quantity of food you comsume- your body wants to shut down so it can spend all of its energy digesting the big meal you just ate.
    Or because you've been awake for too much time!
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2008, 06:12 PM
    L-Tryptophan is found in turkey but also in chicken, pork and cheese for instance. But it's a carb rich meal that increases the level of this amino acid in your brain and leads to serotonin synthesis. (which acts only as a calming agent). This carb rich meal stimulates the pancreas to secrete insulin, this increase of tryptophan in your bloodstream makes seratonin synthesize and you feel sleepy. So I thinks it's a combination of the amount of food we eat and generally everyone doesn't eat beforehand, so they have extra room, for all the food!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Anyone with a great Turkey Recipe? [ 14 Answers ]

Hey guys I want to make a turkey this year but I don't know what kind of recipe to go with.. I'd love to hear all of your ideas... And I would love to know how to make a more moist turkey... I don't really like turkey b.c its soooo DRY..

BBQ'ing a whole turkey [ 1 Answers ]

The topic pretty much says it all - does anyone out there have any recommendations for grilling a whole turkey on a gas grill? I would prefer to use a roasting pan if that helps.. . Thanks,

Pregnant Turkey [ 4 Answers ]

Last year at Thanksgiving, my mom went to my sister's house for the traditional feast. Knowing how gullible my sister is, my mom decided to play a trick. She told my sister that she needed something from the store. When my sister left, my mom took the turkey out of the oven, removed the...

Gone Turkey Hunting [ 7 Answers ]

Hey everybody, this isn't really a debate, just something I have been wondering about. The topic is how you spend your thanksgiving? In my family it has always been around probably 6 people, my moms, sister, step-dad and I + the grandparents. However because my grandfather passed away last year...

Cooking a turkey [ 2 Answers ]

How long do you cook a turkey? So many minutes per pound??

View more questions Search