Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevierayp Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2007, 06:49 PM
    401K loans
    What happens if you borrow from your 401K and don't pay the loan back?
    Just curious...

Steve
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 21, 2007, 07:07 PM
    What does it say in the terms of your loan paper work. Normally it will be considered withdrawn at some point, and taxable.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 23, 2007, 01:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    What does it say in the terms of your loan paper work. Normally it will be considered withdrawn at some point, and taxable.
    Plus you will have to pay the 10% penalty for early withdrawal.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 23, 2007, 01:43 PM
    First, every plan I've seen requires payroll deduction if you take out a loan. So the only way you wouldn't pay it back is if you leave the job. At that point, the outstanding balance would be declared an inservice withdrawal and you would incur tax liability and 10% penalty.

You would have the opportunity to pay it in full. I've had outstanding loans when I've changed jobs. I took a short term loan to pay the balance, then rolled the 401K into the new plan and took out a loan to pay the short term loan.
    stevierayp Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2007, 07:59 PM
    Thanks, from everything I have read it sounds like you are better off NOT to touch your 401K unless you are willing to really pay a hefty penalty.
    Sounds like Im just going to suck it up,. maybe take a 2nd job... Just trying to get out of debt.
    It seems like the older I get the less I like to owe people money.

Thanks for your answers

Steve

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K Loans [ 2 Answers ]

Can I get a loan using my 401k as collateral

401K Loans [ 1 Answers ]

My 401k is over 50,000 in equity with a 9000 loan already attached, will this effect approval on another 12000 loan

Loans from 401k after rtirement [ 1 Answers ]

If I retire at age 60 and I still have an outstanding loan from my 401k, can the outstanding loan amount be treated as income and I pay tax on that amount at the yearly tax return time?

401k loans not repaid [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! My name is Patty and I have a question about 401k loans. I am recently divorced and purchased my first house by myself. In order to do that I had to borrow against my 401k to keep the payments down where I could afford them. I borrowed 50,000 and have a balance now of about 47,000.I fell in...

View more questions Search