Dec 21, 2007, 02:23 AM
    Ginny pig diet
    Does anyone know what ginny pigs eat?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2007, 03:15 AM
    What is quoted below is from the following site. Guinea Pig Diet

What To Feed Your Guinea Pig

Large, unlimited amounts of fresh hay should be offered daily. Young guineas should be introduced to hay as soon as they can eat on their own. Mixed grass hay or Timothy hay is preferred because it is lower in calories and calcium than alfalfa. It is also higher in fiber

¼ cup per day of pellets (no added dried anything!) for adult guinea pigs. Unlimited pellets for guinea pigs younger than 6 months
    We recommend Oxbow Cavy Cuisine and Western Timothy.

TRY TO FEED 3 VEGETABLE SERVINGS PER DAY. BE SURE ONE IS SOME TYPE OF LEAFY GREEN. PLEASE, NO MORE THAN 1 SERVING OF ANY GIVEN VEGETABLE!!

A variety is necessary in order to obtain the necessary nutrients, with one each day that contains Vitamin A, indicated by an *. Add one vegetable to the diet at a time. Eliminate if it causes soft stools or diarrhea.

Limit fruits to 1-2 tablespoons per 2 lbs. of body weight (none if dieting) from the list below of high fiber fruits. USE FRUIT ONLY ONCE OR TWICE A WEEK. Sugary fruits such as bananas and grapes should be used only sparingly. Guineas have a sweet tooth and if left to their own devices will devour sugary foods to the exclusion of healthful ones.

(!)=Use no more than twice a week. High in either oxalates or goitrogens and may be toxic in accumulated quantities over a period of time.
    (*)=Use no more than twice a week.

Vegetables:

Alfalfa, radish & clover sprouts
    Basil
    Beet greens (tops)*
    Bok choy
    Broccoli (mostly leaves/stems)* - 1 FLORET & STEM
    Brussels Sprouts - 1 Sprout
    Brussels sprouts – 1 SPROUT
    Carrot & carrot tops* - 1 CARROT
    Celery – 2 INCHES, cut in 1 inch pieces
    Chard (red or green)* - 1 LEAF
    Cilantro – 6 - 8 STEMS AND LEAVES
    Clover – 10
    Collard greens* - 1 LEAF
    Cucumber – 1 SLICE
    Dandelion greens and flowers (no pesticides)* - 6 LARGE OR 10 SMALL
    Endive*
    Escarole
    Green peppers – 1 SLICE
    Kale (!)* - 1 LEAF
    Mint
    Mustard greens* - 1 LEAF
    Parsley* - 6 - 8 STEMS AND LEAVES
    Pea pods (the flat edible kind)*
    Peppermint leaves
    Radichio – ½ CUP
    Radish tops – 3 LEAVES
    Raspberry leaves
    Romaine lettuce (no iceberg or light colored leaf) or red/green leaf - 2 LEAVES
    Watercress*
    Wheat grass

Fruits - 1 CUBIC INCH:

Apple
    Blueberries
    Papaya
    Peach
    Pear
    Pineapple
    Plums
    Raspberries
    Strawberries Melon
    Orange (including peel)
    Tomato

Absolutely NO Chocolate (Poisonous!!!), cookies, crackers, breakfast cereals, bread, pasta, yogurt drops or other "human treats." There is research to suggest these items may contribute to fatal cases of enterotoxaemia, a toxic overgrowth of "bad" bacteria in the intestinal tract.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2007, 05:55 AM
    Comments on this post say cheese agrees: thanks
    You are very welcome! Thank you for thanking me!
    teghancat Posts: 24, Reputation: -1

Mar 17, 2008, 05:23 PM
    They eat hay, alfalfa grass, small amounts of fresh veggies and the guinea pig kibble from the store.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can Diet Coke/Diet Pepsi ruined your diet? [ 17 Answers ]

Hello, Iam Writing To You Because Iam One Of Those People That Have Been Trying To Lose Some Pounds.. I Have Been Cutting Off The Sweets, Fatting And Anything Else That Gains Weight.. I Also Have Been Doing Exercise.. my Only Question Is If Diet Coke Gains Weight Even Though If Its Diet?. My...

No more diet! [ 20 Answers ]

I am a 15 year old girl who is only 5'3 and weigh 130! I Don't need a diet! What the hell was wrong with me obsessing over my weight. My body still needs to grow and I'm hurting myself this way. I'm still going to work out, and watch what I eat but I am no longer dieting. :) And I...

New Diet [ 13 Answers ]

I was in Wal-Mart buying a large bag of Purina for Lola And was in line to check out. A woman behind me asked If I had a dog... Duh! I was feeling a bit crabby so on Impulse, I told her no, I was starting The Purina Diet Again, although I probably shouldn't because I'd ended Up in the hospital...

What Diet? [ 4 Answers ]

I have been doing many diets and can't find one that works with my busy schedule and I am hungry all the time. What is the best one from you opinion and how do I do it? :(

Diet [ 1 Answers ]

Hi How can I lose some weight ( only 3-4 kg) without going on horrible diets? Because I've seen people who went on hard diets and did lose weight but the wieght went back as soon as they returned to normal eating habbits. I've already cut off hot chips and junk food. What else shoud I do? Thanks

View more questions Search