Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Under_a_rock Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Dec 20, 2007, 10:50 AM
    Trying to ween.
    I am trying to ween my daughter from the breast. I have enough breastmilk stored to last about 2 months, she is seven months old.
    She has not nursed in 3 days and I have not gotten engorged, swollen or leaked yet. I have not pumped.
    I don't know if I should try to pump again to store more for her or if I even can.
    I find it hard to believe I have dried up so quickly. I have over-produced for 7 months.
    Is it bad for her not to have enough breastmilk to last until she is a year old. She takes neosure twice a day now.
    Am I drying up? Why haven't I leaked?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 20, 2007, 11:23 AM
    You could be drying up. Milk is produced by supply and demand. If there is no demand (nursing for 3 days) there is no supply.

You have done a wonderful thing for your daughter by nursing her as long as you did. Please don't feel upset if you do not go a year, that does nothing for you or her. You have nursed longer than many people do. Just keep her on the milk you have pumped, then switch to formula until she is 12 months old. At that time you can switch her to whole milk.

I wish I could have nursed with mine, but for some of us it is not possible. Congrats for doing the right thing by your daughter.
    Under_a_rock Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Dec 20, 2007, 11:27 AM
    Thanks J_9

Will she get sick when I switch her to just formula?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 20, 2007, 11:30 AM
    You should mix the two slowly adding more formula and less breast milk until you have nothing but formula. Now, you will notice a difference in her stools. They will most likely be darker and firmer. Check with your pediatrician to see if she needs to be on an Iron based formula or not.

Fair warning though, if she is placed on an Iron based formula, she may become constipated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How Young to Ween? [ 20 Answers ]

Hello everyone, For those of you who haven't read my other posts, my female pitbull is pregos again! :) We are going to sell all of the puppies to the petstore after we ween them off the mother. HOW OLD SHOULD THEY BE before we take them away from the mother? * * The puppies will primarily be...

View more questions Search