Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dan13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2007, 02:31 PM
    Trace a dedicated electrical circuit
    Here it is!

I have a time clock at work for the emplyees which is getting power from an outlet.
    I want to make sure the clock is not sharing power with other outlets
    I want to find out without shutting power off to time clock (unpluggint it)

Thank you
    DAN:
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Dec 16, 2007, 06:05 PM
    The easiest way to do this, is turn off the breaker serving that outlet, and check all spaces to see what's off. Bring along a plug in lamp, or go buy you a current indicator for $9.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2007, 06:41 PM
    OK, the building is wired up with conduit or something and you don't want to kill power to the time clock? You should be able to take the screw out of the cover plate and slide it out over the cord. Take a flash light and look at the wires in the box and the conduit. If you see more than one conduit and a black or other color wire, white, and maybe a green, that is a sign it is sign something else is tied to it. Follow, or guess at how the conduit may run back to the breaker panel. Often it will go up to the ceiling, and then to the breaker box. Check any junction boxes. If it is the only thing on the circuit, its colored wire will not be spliced, or go off in a conduit towards something else. The white could be spliced to another white, or other unconnected wires may be in the conduit.

I don't know if the clock will draw enough power to get a good amp reading or not, or if you can get at the wires with a clamp on ammeter. If you get the same reading at the clock as at the breaker, with all the lights on and things drawing power from all the outlets, it should be a dedicated circuit.

The above means more poking around live circuits than I like to do. Might better be delegated to somebody with training, experience, and the right tools.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2007, 06:58 AM
    Another way, is turn all breakers off, except the time clock(Provided you know which circuit it is on). Then look for voltage on nearby circuits for voltage. If any are live, then they are probably on time clock circuit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Proper way to trace electrical circuits [ 4 Answers ]

Recently, we replaced our old Pushmatic Breaker panel with a GE unit. Now I can get new breakers without having to buy them off E-Bay. Being a cheap Ba**rd, er I mean Frugal, I saved $50 by tracing the electrical circuits myself instead of having the electrician do it. Since I had to do it, and...

Dedicated circuit for refrigerator [ 8 Answers ]

Hi. My refrigerator is on a circuit that is protected by a GFCI. It is on the same circuit that protects the electrical around the kitchen sink. I would like to place it on a dedicated 20 amp circuit. The wall space behind the frig backs up to the plumbing for the bathroom shower and the...

What could be wrong with the electrical line or circuit? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello All: Right before I fixed the motor on my compressor I plugged it into an outlet in my apartment, more specifically, one of the outlets in the kitchen. As soon as I turned on the compressor, it caused the circuit to trip. I flipped the circuit back on but everything on that line doesn't...

240v Electrical circuit testing [ 1 Answers ]

I have replaced a celling light in my kitchen. The replacement light has a stainless steel casing, however the wiring circuit in the house has no earth at the celing, so I have not connected an earth. It has 2x black wires , 2x red wires ( switching & connected together ) & 1x black wire with a red...

Lighting/electrical - is separate circuit possible? [ 3 Answers ]

I have lights in my house that have both a regular switch and a dimmer switch. A few days ago I used the regular switch to turn on the lights and it looked like a circuit breaker tripped and the lights went out. I checked the main box and no circuits were tripped... and I looked for a sub-panel...

View more questions Search