Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    samoore Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2007, 02:24 PM
    Information about sewing machine
    I have recently acquired a White Family Rotary sewing machine. Can anyone tell me about the machine. The only markings I found were the model number
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 15, 2007, 02:31 PM
    And what are the model numbers before I do a web search

But if you merely put in White Rotary sewing and the serial number you should get lots of info

Dec 15, 2007, 02:38 PM
    Fr252864
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2007, 06:09 PM
    I did find some date ranges for serial numbers on the following site. whites If what is below is correct, then it would appear that the date of manufacture would be either 1908 or 1909.

FR 238519 1908
    FR 256000 1909

Also, below is some other information from the site above. There is more information on the site, as well as some pictures. The site is worth it to go and have a look at it.

White was, next to Singer, perhaps the largest and best known of the US sewing machine companies. Unlike Singer, they did not offer many different models, or change models very often. Their engineering was extremely good, and their products stood the test of time. The introduced their VS machine in the late 1870's and manufactured it with minor improvements into the early 1900's. They introduced a new model, the Family Rotary, or FR, which was a very well designed and strong machine, in the late 1890's and manufactured this design, with some variations, up until WW II.

Unfortunately, there is nowhere near as much information on the White Company as on Singer. The company was founded by Thomas White, who had some prior experience in sewing machine manufacture. He located in Cleveland, Ohio (down a main street from where I lived as a child, actually). The company was formed in 1876. White was a large and prosperous company, giving Singer a run for their money. White took over the Domestic and King sewing machine companies and eventually became White Consolidated Industries. They ceased manufacturing in the United States sometime after WWII, probably the late 60's or early 70's. After that their machines were made in Japan.

The White machines found today are very usable. There is one serious consideration as to the VS machines... the shuttle and bobbin are unique. The shuttle has a post in it, and the bobbin has a hollow core. The bobbin is loaded into the shuttle by sliding onto the post. These shuttles and bobbins are not available and somewhat difficult to find. Should you locate and consider a White vibrating shuttle machine, be sure it has it's shuttle and a bobbin or two.

The White FR or Family Rotary is the most common White. They are a truly outstanding machine. If you find a good one, don't pass it up. One caution on this model... I always tell people that "White is Singer spelled backwards...". Everything about the White is the reverse of the Singer... the handwheel rotates away from you instead of toward you, and the thread rolls off the bobbin in the favored, or easy, direction, not cutting back over a lip as on Singer round bobbins. One of the more common "help" calls on Treadle On is from new White owners who can't get their machine to stitch because they are trying to make it turn the same direction as a Singer.

If you go to the Treadle On Links Page (scroll down the main index page till you find it) you will find links to other sites with information on White. Alan Quinn's site at: http://www.demon.co.uk/quinn/manuals/white/index.html has a copy of the White Rotary manual.

White owned their own forests and operated their own cabinet factories, rather than contracting this out. They were noted for having the highest quality of cabinets. Their library table and Martha Washington sewing cabinet model electrics are classics, as is the Mission or Arts and Crafts treadle.

White Numbers/Years

The White company (still in business) has some serial number records and will date machines. Their record and numbering system is/was not as organized as Singers, so there are some problems. However, we are assembling a record of known dates to provide a rough comparison ability.
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2007, 06:18 PM
    Below, are some sites that also might provide some helpful information concerning dating, manuals and parts, etc. for old White machines.

AllBrands.com - White Sewing Machine or Serger Instruction Book or Operating Manual - Specify Model Number UPS GROUND ONLY

http://www.sew2go.com/manual.htm#operating

http://www.demon.co.uk/quinn/manuals/white/index.html
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2007, 09:06 PM
    Thanks Fr_Chuck! You didn't appear to be around, so I thought that I would have a try at finding the information. You are correct that there is a lot of information available on the Internet concerning those particular sewing machines. Very easy to find.

Dec 16, 2007, 02:50 AM
    Thanks so much for the info, I really appreciate it.
    fireftnchick Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Dec 16, 2007, 06:26 AM
    Try this site, Katie has been doing an extensive research project of White sewing machines. She has authorized info on the site.

arachnesobsession's photos and albums on webshots

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewing machine [ 3 Answers ]

I have a singer model 457 I can not get the needle to pick up bobbin thread

1883 Sewing Machine [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I purchased at auction a coffin top 1883 sewing machine. I cannot find any information on the internet concerning a "Farmers Alliance" sewing machine. I assume this is not a singer. I would appreciate any information. Thanks ljcsd456

Old sewing machine [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old black electric sewing machine in wooden cabinet with the brandname UNIVERSAL (made in Japan). I do not know how old it is but would like to know how to find a manual for it and also an estimate of the value. I have been unable to find any info on this brand anywhere. Please help

Antique sewing machine [ 8 Answers ]

Hello! I found a sewing machine my grandmother used to have. I don't know what model or make it is... all the machine says is "Western" on the side of it and it has a plate on the right hand side that says "Model 300" and it has some sort of serial number E658732. Please find a picture enclosed....

View more questions Search