Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mjl Posts: 486, Reputation: 26

Dec 15, 2007, 01:05 PM
    Adoption Costs
    Generally, how much does it cost to adopt a child (legal fees in sure is what it is that costs so much). Generally for a child within your country or internationally... just curious.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 15, 2007, 02:57 PM
    What type of adoption, from step parent, to private, to from government agency.
    And international, you may have fees to pay to departments of other nations. A private adoption can be in the 5000 to 10,000 dollar range often.

Dec 15, 2007, 03:38 PM
    Like an agency
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Dec 15, 2007, 03:42 PM
    Depending on the type of adoption, where you adopt from, etc, adoption can cost anywhere from nothing (foster care adoption) to $40,000.00 or more.

The Costs of Adopting: A Factsheet for Families, Page 1 -

That's a good place to start, and they have links to other resources.

You could also Google "cost of adoption" and get a ton of hits.

From my understanding, the average adoption (international or domestic) through an agency costs around $20,000.00.

Dec 15, 2007, 04:23 PM
    Thanks
    Cristal444 Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Dec 15, 2007, 05:04 PM
    $20,000 is a pretty good estimate, maybe more for international.
    collinsmom Posts: 45, Reputation: 3

Dec 15, 2007, 05:06 PM
    Hello mjl, I can tell you our adoption 5 1/2 years ago was around $17K. It was an open adoption and we worked with an agency. Also, the birthmother had insurance and was in our state, so we didn't have travel expenses. We did pay for her insurance deductables. You also have to understand that the state dictates what expenses you can pay. Hope this helps.

Dec 15, 2007, 05:11 PM
    Thanks guys... I'm not planning on adopting right away or anything. More of a sometime down the road thing, but thanks for the info.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fixed costs vs. Variable costs [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please check my answers. -Classify each of the following items of factory overhead as either a fixed or a variable cost. (Include any costs you consider to be semivariable within the variable category) a. Indirect labor- fixed costs could be variable under certain circumstances b....

Accounting Sales Price Variable Material Costs Fixed Monthly Costs [ 0 Answers ]

I have no clue where to begen with this, I could use some help! Its due on Friday night and the teacher as done nothing to help here. I'm totally lost. The individual portion of this assignment is for each person to produce his/her own solution to the following. Claire’s Antiques has fixed cost...

Step variable costs vs fixed costs [ 1 Answers ]

step variable costs vs fixed costs

Step Father adoption without lawyer, and costs? [ 6 Answers ]

My daughter is almost 6 years old and has had no contact with her bio father since she was 12 days old. I've been with my husband now since my daughter was 7 months old and he wants to adopt her. The bio father is willing to give up rights for my husband to adopt. So would it still be too...

Fixed costs vs. Variable costs [ 1 Answers ]

Which are which? Futon Factory Power to operate tools-variable Cloth to cover the futon frame-fixed Salary of factory receptionist-fixed Cost of food and dec for a work party-variable fuel for forklift-variable depreciation for factory-fixed depreciation for factory equipment-variable...

View more questions Search